Stay in bed

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Interkarma

Re: Stay in bed

Post by Interkarma »

I'll take a look when I can and get back to you. :)

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I can see a lot of uses for something like this outside of inns. Sleeping in houses for instance. Is the house abandoned or are the occupants just away? Is there a chance you may get caught? This opens more doors to more possibilities to evade the law. You could create mods that allow you to sleep certain places under certain circumstances; say the thieves guild upon reaching a certain level. It always bothered me that you couldn't sleep in a secluded spot where the guards would not see you.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hazelnut wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:17 am So tonight I gave this a try. Thought I would see how allowing custom methods to be registered in PlayerActivate would work. See PR #1075 for the core codebase changes, and https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods/tr ... layRealism for the mod code that uses it.

Would like feedback on this approach which matches the GameObject name (everywhere is calling same method to generate it to ensure consistency) and calls the delegate method registered. This is different from the existing way of adding a component to the GO when laying out the models, and has the advantage of not needing the different model layout code (interiors & dungeons) to both allow action registration. Instead it's registered and checking in the PlayerActivate class.

Not entirely sure this advantage is worth diverging from existing process, but thought I would give it a shot and see what others thought.

Pango, Interkarma - thoughts? Should I switch this to registering MonoBehaviour components to be added to the model GO or do you think this is a better way for mods to register custom model actions?
I have no problems with how its implemented, and I like the idea of being able to add custom activation callbacks. Will happily merge this one. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Interkarma wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:02 pm I have no problems with how its implemented, and I like the idea of being able to add custom activation callbacks. Will happily merge this one. :)
Cool, I'm glad because I took a stab at changing it and it actually it turned to be quite awkward code in comparison.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I was a bit dubious at first when I read the activation was handled by name. But once I broke it down and saw that a) the name had the unique model ID in it, and b) you use a central method for generating name, I was happy. :)

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Love it. I had a mod in Oblivion that let the player have a resting animation and could actually get in bed. That really immerses me in the game.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Lower your expectations.. this simply pops up the rest dialog and doesn't move the player to an auto-allocated bed if they sleep. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

Other objects that are currently just a bunch of pixels are shelves in dungeons, but I'm not sure what they should contain (and so did original devs it seems ;) )
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart