As leveling bar? Or?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
johnwax

As leveling bar? Or?

Post by johnwax »

Many, if not most, games have a bar or other indication of where your character stands re reaching the next level. I realize that Daggerfall's leveling system is more complicated that the usual straightforward number of kills, but would some indicator be possible?

pango

Re: As leveling bar? Or?

Post by pango »

Hi johnwax,
Level ups are triggered by skills increase, you need 15 to raise a level, so I guess that, at very least, you could get one level up gauge with 15 notches...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I'd also love to see this as a UI improvement (I also suggested this a while back - https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1042). Can't wait for this kind of UI modding to take off after DFU hits 1.0!

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

The most transparent way to do this is to have the "Level" bar in the charsheet window be clickable. I'm sure you've noticed that "Name" and "Health" are already clickable for extra info per classic.

"You are # skill increases away from leveling up."

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

That's actually a good suggestion for how it could be seamlessly worked into the Daggerfall UI as an enhancement. Not even sure it would warrant a disable option in settings for purists, they can simply not click. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

That would be great! Would something similar also be possible for my related suggestion "Add tooltip info displaying leveling progress in each skill" (i.e. a tooltip not only for overall level progress, but per-skill progress as well)? Unfortunately, individual skills are already nested in pop-up tooltips after clicking Primary/Major/Minor/Miscellaneous in the character sheet, so this would likely have to be an edit to those tooltips to add the progress indicator for each skill.

In general with the character sheet, please remind me - is it not possible to edit the basic structure of the sheet without modding in a new interface? E.g. for one of my other requests at https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1042 (display current/maximum spell point values on character sheet - an odd oversight of classic Daggefall considering the health and fatigue values are already displayed): by deleting the unnecessary "Skills" row on the left side of the sheet, space would be freed up to list "Health" (existing), "Fatigue" (existing), and "Spell Points" (new) above the "Encumbrance" row. Then, the four skill rows could be renamed to compensate for the loss of the separate "Skills" row/label - e.g. "Primary Skills", "Major Skills", "Minor Skills", and "Misc. Skills".

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Mike wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:44 pm"Add tooltip info displaying leveling progress in each skill"
Do you maybe have an example game that does this? I never understood that part of the post. Skills just increment by one until they're maxed. What progress is there to see beyond current skill level?
Mike wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:44 pmIn general with the character sheet, please remind me - is it not possible to edit the basic structure of the sheet without modding in a new interface? E.g. for one of my other requests at https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1042 (display current/maximum spell point values on character sheet - an odd oversight of classic Daggefall considering the health and fatigue values are already displayed): by deleting the unnecessary "Skills" row on the left side of the sheet, space would be freed up to list "Health" (existing), "Fatigue" (existing), and "Spell Points" (new) above the "Encumbrance" row. Then, the four skill rows could be renamed to compensate for the loss of the separate "Skills" row/label - e.g. "Primary Skills", "Major Skills", "Minor Skills", and "Misc. Skills".
I've come to agree with those averse to changing the UI art as a QOL. I don't like Gold over MP, or Fatigue vs Stamina. But fixing these problems requires changing the art panels because the header text is baked in. If you have to change the art, then you may as well do a fullblown mod of it.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:58 pm Do you maybe have an example game that does this? I never understood that part of the post. Skills just increment by one until they're maxed. What progress is there to see beyond current skill level?
Each skill gradually progresses from one incremental percentage value to the next based on usage, so at any time, the Mercantile skill may be 55% of the way to its next level (e.g. more than halfway between 9% and 10% overall).

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Mike wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:23 pm Each skill gradually progresses from one incremental percentage value to the next based on usage, so at any time, the Mercantile skill may be 55% of the way to its next level (e.g. more than halfway between 9% and 10% overall).
If that's how it works, then you'd be asking for decimals to display. i.e. Mysticism = 55.43% instead of 55%.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:30 pm If that's how it works, then you'd be asking for decimals to display. i.e. Mysticism = 55.43% instead of 55%.
I never thought of that! That could be one simple way to show the progress from one skill level to the next. Of course, that would be yet another DFU option (I could imagine some hardcore purists who wouldn't want to see decimals), but in my opinion, as long as these game options are clearly labeled and organized (as they are in the current DFU frontend), more UI options like this for players who want more accessible game data are not a bad thing.