What's the point of the info panel?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Interkarma

Re: What's the point of the info panel?

Post by Interkarma »

In my game only the item name is displayed in tooltip whether info panel is enabled/disabled. They don't have anything to do with each other that I was aware of. Interesting, where does your expanded toolip display come from then?

tooltip-info.jpg
tooltip-info.jpg (570 KiB) Viewed 2495 times

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:38 pm In my game only the item name is displayed whether info panel is enabled/disabled. They don't have anything to do with each other that I was aware of. Interesting, where does the full toolip display come from then?
The item name mouse-over tooltip is displayed by choosing the "Tool Tips" DFU option, while the info panel is displayed by choosing the separate "Inventory Info Panel" DFU option - so you're right, they're independent of each other.

However, currently, the only way to get the full item info in tooltip form is through the classic/vanilla Daggerfall functionality of clicking the Info button, then clicking the specific item - not ideal in my opinion, as modern-style full mouse-over tooltip data would be preferred. This could be done (without editing the GUI) by adding the full item info (i.e. not only the item name) to these existing optional mouse-over tooltips. But again, this is in no way to disrespect the work Hazelnut has already done to improve the existing interface. It was just meant to be a suggestion for further improvement down the road. Either way, I'll already never go back to classic Daggerfall with all of the QoL improvements in today's base unmodded DFU.
Last edited by mikeprichard on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Hazelnut wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:34 pm@BansheeXYZ: We are recreating the original Daggerfall UI with some QoL improvements where they seamlessly fit in. A full modern GUI is mod territory, you're welcome to do what you want there.
??? I didn't suggest a gui mod. Tooltips are already in and seamless.
The info panel does show gold and weight, when classic does for the item type. It's literally the info popup but without having to click each item and then dismiss the popup. Please just turn it off if you don't like it.
I think you're misunderstanding me here. (Does anyone here play other games?) When you open your inventory, your gold is not an item in it. There is no gold counter. You have to click a button or go to char sheet to see how much gold you're carrying. Gold isn't weightless in this game, yet the message that pops up does not say how much it weighs and is contributing to your weightload. So the suggestion was to... you know... transform the info panel to show a gold counter.
tooltips2.png
tooltips2.png (102.9 KiB) Viewed 2473 times

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Banshee - how did you get that full item info tooltip to appear for the Leather Cuirass? I can only get that kind of complete tooltip info by clicking the "Info" button then clicking the item, and even then, it appears as a vanilla Daggerfall paper-scroll-style tooltip.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

mikeprichard wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:01 pm Banshee - how did you get that full item info tooltip to appear for the Leather Cuirass? I can only get that kind of complete tooltip info by clicking the "Info" button then clicking the item, and even then, it appears as a vanilla Daggerfall paper-scroll-style tooltip.
I didn't, it's a mock-up. I created it in photoshop to illustrate my suggestion.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Ah, right. I like.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

this would be a classic example for a combo box in the settings to choose which kind of info mechanism should be used. I know we don't have combo boxes yet but a slider selecting the category (like already used in the settings gui) could do the trick - would not need much more space than the current info panel checkbox.
item info options could be "classic", "extra info panel", "extended tooltips" (to be implemented), "both"

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Nystul wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:33 am this would be a classic example for a combo box in the settings to choose which kind of info mechanism should be used. I know we don't have combo boxes yet but a slider selecting the category (like already used in the settings gui) could do the trick - would not need much more space than the current info panel checkbox.
item info options could be "classic", "extra info panel", "extended tooltips" (to be implemented), "both"
I'm admittedly too blunt, but we also can't be kumbaya about everything and turn the launch menu into a nuclear switchboard. I'd much rather the info panel area be used as a gold panel, because it's too small for long item names and enchantment attributes. It's five clicks to see enchantments right now. Two clicks just to see gold carried. That's a lot of clicking, guys. And it can all be eliminated.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:50 am I'm admittedly too blunt, but we also can't be kumbaya about everything and turn the launch menu into a nuclear switchboard.
being blunt is one thing, but your arguments are subjective in my opinion

I like your idea, but why brute-force it in the way to eliminate all other alternatives/options - I don't get it

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Nystul wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:35 pmI like your idea, but why brute-force it in the way to eliminate all other alternatives/options - I don't get it
You can try, but it sounds complicated and then of course which is the default? If the point of the info panel is to click on "info" less, then I don't see how it can default over something where you never have to click it. It's not subjective, that's factually less clicks.

Daggerfall never went too crazy with item properties, but that's not stopping someone from making a mod with Diablo-esque treasure variety. Clicking 4 times on every found magic item doesn't sound like something anyone would tolerate, so tooltips are the more mod-friendly option as well.

Here's a tooltip at 2x instead of the normal 4x:
tooltips4.png
tooltips4.png (103.22 KiB) Viewed 2402 times