[MOD] Real Grass 2

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
ifkopifko

Re: [MOD] Real Grass 2

Post by ifkopifko »

TheLacus wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:38 pmI will surely check for possible memory usage improvements for future versions, but this falls in the field of optimization.
I do not know what exactly is responsible for the high RAM usage with this mod, but is some kind of goemetry instancing at work in DFU? Or is there even some similar concept for textures? The mod itself is like 6MB, but RAM usage jumps by 2500MB when it's on...

But rest assured, I love this mod as well... no matter how hungry it is... :-D

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

To TheLocus - I was going to send the log file as an attachment, but I keep getting an error "invalid file extension", which is strange. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks for your help on this. I personally now think it is an x32 problem with resource assignment. I installed 2.31 with no joy. I then turned off all mods except Real Grass and still no joy. Maybe resource intensive mods like this will have to be written for two Win platforms - x32 and x64. Thanks again.

pango

Post by pango »

johnwax wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:27 pm To TheLocus - I was going to send the log file as an attachment, but I keep getting an error "invalid file extension", which is strange. Any suggestions on what to do?
Try zipping the log first, the forums only accept some file extensions
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

To TheLocus (with thanks to Pongo for the zip suggestion) - I am attaching a zip of output_log.txt for my most recent try at loading Real Grass 2.31.. I selected an outside save and tried to load with the resulting crash.. Please take a look and thanks.
Attachments
output_log.zip
(9.65 KiB) Downloaded 115 times

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

johnwax wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:27 pm I personally now think it is an x32 problem with resource assignment. I installed 2.31 with no joy. I then turned off all mods except Real Grass and still no joy. Maybe resource intensive mods like this will have to be written for two Win platforms - x32 and x64. Thanks again.
Considering that any hardware than can only run win-x32 is likely below the minimum spec for DFU I see no problem with neglecting win-x32 when it comes to mods

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

To Feralwarlord - I am running Win 7 with 8 gb ram and a quad cpu that totals 13.6 gb processing. I can run x64 easily, but made the mistake of setting up for x32. My bad. So, the issue isn't the capability of my hardware, its whether the x32 system is going to be viable for future iterations of DFU or mods unless some consideration is made of its limitations. Your thoughts?

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

johnwax wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:37 am To Feralwarlord - I am running Win 7 with 8 gb ram and a quad cpu that totals 13.6 gb processing. I can run x64 easily, but made the mistake of setting up for x32. My bad. So, the issue isn't the capability of my hardware, its whether the x32 system is going to be viable for future iterations of DFU or mods unless some consideration is made of its limitations. Your thoughts?
I have no idea where you 13.6gb processing from, it's not a clock speed or a performance metric that I know of.

With a x32 windows half you ram is useless since 32bit windows can only use 4GB if you want to reinstall windows you can get a win7 iso here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... d/windows7 and use rufus https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html to make a bootable usb (note you will need at least a 4Gb usb and any data on the usb will be destroyed in this process).

I personally say it's up to mod creators and interkarma as to whether or not to support 32bit OSes going into the future as 32bit OSes become increasing irrelevant due to further spread of 64bitr OSes as standard ram capacity in new systems goes up (8Gb is already the basic amount in most new systems with 16GB becoming increasingly common)

the manual for build #104 (I know I haven't updated for a while) list this as the required specs for DFU
DFU specs.PNG
DFU specs.PNG (49.87 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
so as long as this doesn't change by the time 1.0 releases we can assume interkarma intends baseline DFU to continue supporting x32 OSes

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I want to keep supporting 32-bit systems for base game without mods.

Once you start adding mods, all bets are off. Some systems will do better than others, it all depends on the needs of the individual mod and how much RAM is actually free on the system after OS and anything else running. My general advice for 32-bit users would be to just play the base game, perhaps with some lighter mods like quest packs or Archaeologists installed.

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

To Feralwarlord and InterKarma - Thanks for the frank comments. It looks like I'm dead in the water unless I upgrade to x64. Suggest you consider adding a caveat like 'Does not work with Win x32' in the download instructions for mods or future builds of DFU - assuming the programmer has determined so. Thanks again.

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Well, I understand the mods to be more or less a work-in-progress, so there may yet be hope for you. :-)