Quest list format is being updated

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Hazelnut

Quest list format is being updated

Post by Hazelnut »

I originally based the quest list manager code on what was written on UESP about quest filename format. This has since been updated and verified by Allofich to be correct. Classic dispenses quests based on guild rank or player level rather than reputation. So I've submitted a PR to updated the DFU quest dispensing code to allow us to match classic. I kept the reputation requirement code in so for minReq parameter if you specify 0-9 it will be the minimum rank for guild quests or minimum player level for other quests. However if you specify 10+ it will be the minimum reputation the player needs to have - this is for quest pack use.

The quest list format will now be:

Code: Select all

- group:       guild group from FactionFile.GuildGroups enum, or social group from FactionFile.SocialGroups enum
-- membership:  N=non-member, M=member, P=prospect, T=Akatosh, A=Arkay, D=Dibella, J=Julianos, K=Kynareth, R=Mara, S=Stendarr, Z=Zenithar
-- minReq:      minimum requirement to be offered the quest: (val < 10) = guild rank / player level, or (val >= 10) = min reputation
-- flag:        0 = nothing, X = adult/nudity, 1 = one time quest
-- notes:

schema: *name, group, membership, minReq, flag, notes
I think Jay_H is the only person who's created quest lists up to now, but I could be mistaken.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Re: Quest list format is being updated

Post by Hazelnut »

Jay, regarding one time quests:

In the context of your quest packs, when your quests use the start quest action with a quest name, if that quest is marked as one time then the next time the initiating quest starts it nothing would happen. I can't think of an easy way of feeding this back into the quest script execution. This might limit the usefulness to your perpetual quest packs etc. because you choose a random quest and start it - if it doesn't start I guess it would break the chain. Give it some thought and get back to me if you have any suggestions. For now the start quest action used in quests overrides one time flag.

I've been through all your quest lists and updated them to match this updated format. I will submit a PR with these changes to your quest pack repo - please don't merge until you have made a new release with the old format that people can use with 0.6 releases on moddb or somewhere. Then merge and your packs should work with this code once it's released.

Lastly, all of the quests in the perpetual quest list (except for first 'init' one) are useless and you may as well comment them all out or delete them, as these entries are currently for guild and social group quest pools. I can add new pools, but not sure what the point is unless I create a new action to allow selection from a pool inside quests - that may be a way to support one time quests. It would require a lot of rework for you, so there may be an easier way that you can think of.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I've updated my static links with the 0.6 versions.

Warm Ashes also uses a quest list, which I designed. I'll have to update it once the dust clears here.

You've made this out to be a big change but I don't see it that way yet. There's a new column to the quest lists to accomodate the new flags, but I don't see what other changes are present here (besides the rep/rank difference which is still compatible with classic). Am I missing anything more?

The ability to create one-shot quests is actually something I've wanted for awhile :D There are some I only want to exist once ever, so this is a very welcome change.

I had made the perpetual quest list since I believed that this was necessary for them to run. If not I'm happy to continue without a questlist for it.

I don't have time to test immediately so I'll give feedback when I get a chance.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Is entry level rank 0 and second rank 1, or are 0 and 1 redundant for guild ranks?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

For member quests they are different. Remember you start at rank 0 and can go up to 9. So a member quest of req 0 is availiable as soon as you join, one of req 1 requires you to attain the next rank first.

I hope you still use the reputation requirement where it suits your needs - that's why I left it in there. More power for the modders! :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:06 pm Warm Ashes also uses a quest list, which I designed. I'll have to update it once the dust clears here.

You've made this out to be a big change but I don't see it that way yet. There's a new column to the quest lists to accomodate the new flags, but I don't see what other changes are present here (besides the rep/rank difference which is still compatible with classic). Am I missing anything more?

The ability to create one-shot quests is actually something I've wanted for awhile :D There are some I only want to exist once ever, so this is a very welcome change.

I had made the perpetual quest list since I believed that this was necessary for them to run. If not I'm happy to continue without a questlist for it.
It may not be a big change, but it is a breaking one and will have consequences. I sometimes go a bit overboard with warning of possible effects of my changes.. guess that's from almost 25 years working as a professional developer. I've seen what happens when a 'little' change is made without letting others know! In fact I've had hours and hours wasted, and lots of very stressful weeks because of it. Please do excuse my slight paranoia. :lol: Hey at least you don't suddenly wonder why your packs all stopped working for some unknown reason right?

Regarding the perpetual quest list. Leave em for now, maybe comment out. They may be useful if we figure out a strategy for having these quests one shot so players only get them once. I think that will need a new quest action. Depends how useful it would be, for now I'm leaving it.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hazelnut wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:09 pm It may not be a big change, but it is a breaking one and will have consequences. I sometimes go a bit overboard with warning of possible effects of my changes.. guess that's from almost 25 years working as a professional developer. I've seen what happens when a 'little' change is made without letting others know! In fact I've had hours and hours wasted, and lots of very stressful weeks because of it. Please do excuse my slight paranoia. :lol: Hey at least you don't suddenly wonder why your packs all stopped working for some unknown reason right?
That's good, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something :) These changes are welcome and actually better for me than what we were doing before. Thanks for the guidance so far.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

So, the following mods will not work until players update them once 0.7.3 build is released. None of the quests will get loaded.
  • JH Quest Packs
  • Warm Ashes
  • Archaeologists

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Here's a question: let's say I want to offer the same quest via two guilds (say Fighters and Mages), and in each case I list it as one-time only. Can each guild offer it one time, or is the quest only offered once?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Both guilds can offer the quest but it can only be accepted once. That is once total, not once per guild. The quest would need to have a different name in the quest list to continue to be offered by the other guild if accepted from one.