My detailed and thorough analysis of the default fan curve on my MSI motherboard

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Narf the Mouse

My detailed and thorough analysis of the default fan curve on my MSI motherboard

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Imagine you have a phobia of mice. Or, if you have a phobia of mice, feel free to imagine some other small animal instead. :)

Now, imagine that you are looking at said animal through a sniper scope. The sniper scope is attached to a rocket launcher. The rocket launcher is an automatic, belt-fed weapon capable of blasting 20-foot radius craters.

This is how the default fan curve on my MSI motherboard reacts to heat.

2900 RPM when the CPU hasn't broken 50C...
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

ifkopifko

Re: My detailed and thorough analysis of the default fan curve on my MSI motherboard

Post by ifkopifko »

Okay... I suppose...

If this is not what you like ... do you seek assistance with tweaking it more to your liking? :D If yes, see point No. 1. If not, jump to point No. 2.

1. Did you consider using SpeedFan? (Optionally, see point No. 2.)

2. Merry Xmas to you as well. :D

Narf the Mouse

Re: My detailed and thorough analysis of the default fan curve on my MSI motherboard

Post by Narf the Mouse »

ifkopifko wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:39 am Okay... I suppose...

If this is not what you like ... do you seek assistance with tweaking it more to your liking? :D If yes, see point No. 1. If not, jump to point No. 2.

1. Did you consider using SpeedFan? (Optionally, see point No. 2.)

2. Merry Xmas to you as well. :D
Nah, I was just posting a funny. :) I adjusted the fan curves to something sane. It gets about 7% less on Cinebench, but it's worth it to have the sweet sound of near-silence.

Edit: Although, if you know if the 2X00 series still has that +20C adjustment I heard about, and if so, how to turn that off, because it shouldn't be throttling at 50C?
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Yeah, silence has a value...

Sadly, I don't have personal experience with AMD Ryzen CPUs and the monitoring software used (Ryzen Master or something), but since the offset is positive, you can safely assume that everything is OK as far as cca 90°C... (if the offset is still there, then reality is cca 70°C) so no need to sacrifice performance I'd say.
Anyway, you can roughly guess if it's there from the idle temperature. If it is around 30-35, no offset is present. If it's around 50, the offset is likely there (unless powersaving features are not working properly, you never know with computers).

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

According to the internet and HWiNFO, the offset is +10C.

Couldn't find any info on how to turn that off, though.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Speaking of PC fans and mice... when I was installing a new graphics card on xmas day I found a dessicated mouse corpse in my PC! :o

Thanks cats... cue 2 hours of cleaning the PC before getting to slap my new card in.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:30 pm Speaking of PC fans and mice... when I was installing a new graphics card on xmas day I found a dessicated mouse corpse in my PC! :o

Thanks cats... cue 2 hours of cleaning the PC before getting to slap my new card in.
What I'm wondering is how they managed to sneak that in.

But then, we all know cats can teleport and go intangible.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

The cats brought the mouse in the house and it escaped from their terrorising by climbing into my PC. I really need to find the blanking plate for the hole the old CD drive left when I binned cos my last motherboard only came with SATA.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods