Mod idea: misc skills not able to raise

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Lorex

Mod idea: misc skills not able to raise

Post by Lorex »

As the title says, I'd really like to have misc skills not raise at all, that way you could have actual unique characters to play with. What do you think about it?

Feralwarlord

Re: Mod idea: misc skills not able to raise

Post by Feralwarlord »

you could also do skills that can only be raised after receiving training in them

TheMuffinman1988

Post by TheMuffinman1988 »

I thought about this to, it will be more important to pick the right skills when you create your class, maybe make minor skills have a cap of 75 or something too.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Hmm... I probably wouldn't install "misc skills can't increase", but I would be more likely to install "misc skills can't get as high". And there's a nice progression:

Primary: 100
Major: 75
Minor: 50
Misc: 25

25 is still enough to get some use out of some skills. If the caps are settable, then the player can take future stuff into account.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Lorex

Post by Lorex »

The settable skill caps probably is the best solution in my opinion :)

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

hmm now there's an idea; allowing the user in the settings to set the skill cap for each skill category to whatever they want (probably within range from 0-999)

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

You could give certain skills a decay rate. You could for instance say that if you are not running, jumping, climbing all the time those skills would fade. This could be one of the negative character aspects you pick for your class.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I may have just started writing this. Sent a PM to Interkarma on where the skill trainings/experience are, because I couldn't find them. :)

Other than that, it's a pretty naive implementation: Loop through the player skills, cap any that are too high.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Well, it works in testing, and capping skill uses would also cap level gain, so... v0.1 tech demo:

CategoricalSkillCaps.zip
(10.67 KiB) Downloaded 233 times

What it does:

* Caps your primary, major, minor, and misc skills to the caps set in the settings.
* By default, the settings cap primary skills at 100, major skills at 75, minor skills at 50, and misc skills at 25.

Testing: Created a character, edited all skills to 100; caps were applied. Set a random skill to 20,000 uses; character started gaining levels after every 7 hours of rest, but skills did not increase.

Planned:

* Need to know where the skill uses are.
* Need to figure out how to cap skill uses based on skill values, and character level. This will most likely be on a toggle.

Edit: Warnings:

An unintended side-effect of reaching the cap may be that you level faster, due to not taking as many skill uses to raise your "low" skill.

Another possibility is that you'll level repeatedly, as the skill keeps "going up".

So,..Yeah, if you're installing this, just remember this is v0.1 of "I just wrote this today." ;) No guarantees.
Last edited by Narf the Mouse on Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Daaaang, Narf! These minimods of your are real game changers. Any idea what'll happen if one of my skills already exceeds its cap?