[MOD] Fancy Vitals Indicators

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Narf the Mouse

Re: [MOD] Fancy Vitals Indicators

Post by Narf the Mouse »

pango wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:44 pm Ok, that's called symlinks (for symbolic links) on Unixy systems. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work then.
...Well, the explanation still works for people who don't know either. lol
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

pango

Post by pango »

What I'd really like is a new set of spell icons; I find that many were not very "inspired" to start with (I guess I'm ok with them being abstract, but I can't relate some of them to any effect specifically), and now they're very pixelated...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

pango wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:57 pm What I'd really like is a new set of spell icons; I find that many were not very "inspired" to start with (I guess I'm ok with them being abstract, but I can't relate some of them to any effect specifically), and now they're very pixelated...
Hahaha thats what I was thinking the other day. Maybe to do that. There are lot of spell icons in the DF -around 14 different kinds + subsequent color variations. Fourteen types is not small number to paint. I dont know. Maybe Ill give it a test go and see how it rolls.

PS - The problem is that there is no way to tell what spells do those icons in game represent, because of too harsh pixelization.

pango

Post by pango »

Yup, signage is complicated, and magic signage is no exception. That was a wish, but I'm perfectly aware it's no easy fix.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

VMblast wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:37 pm PS - The problem is that there is no way to tell what spells do those icons in game represent, because of too harsh pixelization.
Actually preset spells have a default icon, but you can select the icon you want for the spells you create (by combining existing effects), and in Daggerfall classic you can change all spell icons at any time too (I submitted a PR that implements that in DFU). So icons are not so strongly tied to spells.
I think what is needed is rather icons that convey the idea of the different existing effects, or family of effects. We may later find what fits best each preset spell.
Also, the icons that matter the most are the ones used for (de)buffs, because those are the only ones, as far as I can tell, that will be displayed for some significant time on screen.
-- Charles Goodhart

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

@pango
Can you make a list of debuffs? This will help a lot. 👍

pango

Post by pango »

I think all those are some kind of buffs or debuffs, but I could be wrong for some of them, that should be checked in game:
paralysis
free action
(taking) continuous damage (health/fatigue/magicka)
elemental resistance (by element?)
fortified attribute (of some kind)
invisibility (different levels: chameleon/shadow form/invisibility, normal or true)
levitation
slowfall
light
regenerate health
silence(d)
spell absorption
spell reflection
spell resistance
climbing
jumping
water breathing
water walking
shield [not implemented in DFU yet]
They're more than I thought :(
Last edited by pango on Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charles Goodhart

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Wasnt climbing in the original DF much harder thing to do in the beginning vs in this DFU (I kind remember being pretty though on start)?

PS -Those debuffs can be categorize in two categories --> Enemy casted (onto player) and Player casted (as positives, uplifting players stats) .

pango

Post by pango »

VMblast wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:29 pm Wasnt climbing in the original DF much harder thing to do in the beginning vs in this DFU (I kind remember being pretty though on start)?
I can't tell... in classic you have to understand that you must not slide at all for a second for climbing to start, so beginners often struggle a lot with climbing, but once you know the trick it becomes easy. I remember falling in the beginning in both games, but I don't remember that lasting much. You can do a lot more with climbing in DFU though, that much is obvious.
VMblast wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:29 pm PS -Those debuffs can be categorize in two categories --> Enemy casted (onto player) and Player casted (as positives, uplifting players stats) .
Well, in theory enemies can cast the same preset spells as you do, so it can go both ways. In practice each one will probably want to cast positive effects on himself (and allies?) and negative effects on your enemies though.
There's already a visual clue about whether an effect comes from a spell you cast on yourself or from someone else's: icons of the spells you cast on yourself appear at top of screen, icons of spells cast on you by someone else appear at the bottom.

Also, as a NetHack player I'd say there's no positive or negative effect, it all depends on what you want to achieve; It happens all the time in NetHack, casting destroy armor on yourself to get rid of some cursed plate armor, etc.
In Daggerfall it's not too hard to tell buffs from debuffs though, unless some creative quest writer will make it useful to cast a debuff on yourself or on an ally...
But since in Daggerfall magic system you have to tell in advance whether a spell will be cast on yourself/on touch/around you/at a distance/on an area at at distance, it doesn't let you use magic as freely as NetHack :)
Digressing, digressing,...
-- Charles Goodhart

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

The best power icon set I've ever seen, is the one used in City of Heroes. :) Mostly because it used a system, rather than just "random picture". I found a breakdown of the system used to construct the icons somewhere; I'll see if I can find it again.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.