AI Upscaled Textures

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by King of Worms »

158 is good! Mobs are Enemies. But since they are just XBR upscale and manual tweaks, they have no value in this case.

I will create a pack for you, which will fit the requirements you looking 4

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

I will create a pack for you, which will fit the requirements you looking 4
Awesome! Thanks!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, you will need to go thru the images on your own, but I deleted a lot of unusable stuff from it already. Im sure there is a lot of good material inside for you and your AI brainzz

https://mega.nz/#!Sy4VTK5K!nf8aGst_ki3H ... 7es-LTc7tA

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

For sprites, I remembered that there's an open source retro FPS called Gloomy Dungeons II, the monster sprites are pretty high-res:
Image Image Image

The images are true colour though. The entire set of graphics is available here. There are three sets of monsters as well as props, pickups and other stuff.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Interresting post, but those monsters are 128*128 pixels...

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:18 am Interresting post, but those monsters are 128*128 pixels...
They are detailed enough and a set of 64x64 can be made as low-res equivalents to train the model.

There are also HD sprites in the XBox version of Marathon II:
https://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_co ... marathon2/

They're not a 100% match of the original lower resolution sprites though, but again they can be scaled down to make pairs of low- and high-res images.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Good finds, MrFlibble! The Gloomy Dungeons sprites may be a little too small, but who knows, they might work after all. The Marathon sprites though (especially the HD ones) I think are perfect training data.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Hey, I've just remembered another game with fairly large, pre-rendered sprites that were created in a way similar to the Daggerfall pre-rendered characters: In Pursuit of Greed.

Earlier versions of the game actually used smaller scale sprites, but there are only player characters (monsters are very different in the early demos).

On another note, have you tried xBR-softened images with ESRGAN/SFTGAN? I love the results people at ResetEra get with the Manga109 model but they have issues on sprite edges with sharp colour contrasts. There's one image from The Legend of Kyrandia that is a good example of how this stuff works:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ai-neu ... t-16281404

For comparison, here's a similar screenshot run through waifu2x (RGB scaling):
You can easily notice of you compare these two side by side how the Manga model improved the grass and rock texture, and some of the trees, whereas waifu2x simply scaled the pixels into blobs. Yet at the same time some edges in both images are very rough and pixely, including the tongue of the mountain range at the bottom left, and the rock outcropping in the seat closer to the top right.

However if you use an xBR-softened version of the same image, waifu2x gets smooth edges everywhere:
I wonder if the same kind of improvement could be achieved with the Manga model? Could you please try this softened image and post the results?

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Sorry of the lapse in response; my daughter was born 1/2/2019 and I've been busy changing diapers and loving on her ever since. I could go on for hours talking about her already, but I know I'd end up just saying all the cliche things that I'd always rolled my eyes at when other new parents said it, so I will defer for now.

Anyhow, I ran that xBR softened image through the ESRGAN using the Manga109 model and I think it made a noticeable improvement. I interpolated between the ESRGAN/PSNR/Manga109 and it looked like the sweet spot was 60% Manga109 and 40% ESRGAN.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

MasonFace wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:25 am Sorry of the lapse in response; my daughter was born 1/2/2019 and I've been busy changing diapers and loving on her ever since
Congrats!!! Truly wonderful. Very best to her, you and your wife!! :D