Tools help

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Zadroter

Tools help

Post by Zadroter »

So I made deep dive in DF tools, but this is first time in my life I have any interation with Unity engine. I know, since tutorials interface changed a bit, but I get most of the things, untill this
In your Inspector, locate the Daggerfall Unity (Script)component and click Browseto point Daggerfall Tools for Unity toyour Daggerfall installation’s Arena2folder.This is where all of the game files such as textures, models, and layouts are stored.
I have this. And nooby quesion - where to click?
looks like some scripts not work but don't know why.

Interkarma

Re: Tools help

Post by Interkarma »

Your scripts are all broken for some reason. Here's an abbreviated guide to getting started again.
  1. Make sure you're using Unity 2018.2.11f1 specifically and clone the latest source from github.
  2. Open the project in Unity and wait for it to compile.
  3. Open "BasicScene" from Assets/Scenes. This has the minimum number of GameObjects required to work with DFTFU editor tools.
  4. If you've played Daggerfall Unity already, it will automatically pick up your Arena2 path from your game folder, otherwise click Browse (see screenshot) and give it your Arena2 path.
From there, you can click Import to inject some assets like blocks or towns. Please keep in mind the tutorials are very old at this point. If you'd like to work through them directly, they should still work with the old standalone DFTFU download you can import as an asset on this page.
Attachments
browse.png
browse.png (150.07 KiB) Viewed 2330 times

Zadroter

Post by Zadroter »

Ah, it probably wrong unity version, just in tutorial was specified only "5.4.0f3 or more high"
My mistake, will reinstall other unity version and will try it again. Will not delete this silly thread in case I have more problems (and I will probably :) )

Failinbad

Post by Failinbad »

I might have figured out the problem. Is it correct that you have to have the files cloned from github then import the DFTFU into that? The tutorial doesn't list that step. I just imported it into an open project and got the following errors listed below.
However when I tried importing it into my github clone project it seems to be working as intended. I just got it working, I will come back if I run into any problems. Right before I thought of trying this I was getting ready to put this on the forum...

"I'm having the exact same problem. All my compiler scripts are broken. I started out with Unity 2018.2.11f1, and got that error so I went and installed Unity 5.4.0f3 and am still having the problem. I loaded up a script in Visual Studio and get:

Error CS0246 The type or namespace name 'ICodeCompiler' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) Daggerfall Tools For Unity G:\Daggerfall Tools For Unity\Assets\Game\Addons\CSharpCompiler\CodeCompiler.cs

And a bunch of different compiler versions of that error

And am also getting:

Warning There was a mismatch between the processor architecture of the project being built "MSIL" and the processor architecture of the reference "mcs", "x86". This mismatch may cause runtime failures. Please consider changing the targeted processor architecture of your project through the Configuration Manager so as to align the processor architectures between your project and references, or take a dependency on references with a processor architecture that matches the targeted processor architecture of your project. Daggerfall Tools For Unity.Plugins"

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

did you select API compability level 2.0 in project settings/player/configuration?

Zadroter

Post by Zadroter »

I have another question. I ported this city block to the scene. Is there a way to port it - whole scene, to blender or 3ds max? If yes, Please, tell me how to do it :D

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Sry to hijack the thread. Is there a way I can see my materials in a editor applied to the objects they belong to? I can see the materials in the inspector, yes. But if I lets say create a dungeon wall material, can I see it in a Unity applied to that wall using the lightning same as in game. In another words, can I skip the "Create DFMOD with material, load it to the game, find the place where the material is used, observe how it really looks ingame" routine? Ty .)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

you can change the material in use for an object in the inspector on the fly yes, just drag and drop it onto the material slot once you found the object in the scene hierarchy