[MOD] Court of Anticlere

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Ferital

[MOD] Court of Anticlere

Post by Ferital »

Hi all,

Just a proof of concept here, I wanted to provide an actual use to all those unique NPCs not available in the original game. I mean Lady Doryana Flyte, Sylch Greenwood, The Squid...

So as I wanted to use this in classic as well, I started to dig into BSA files and came with a little mod.

I replaced a unused RMB block (the last one in BLOCKS.BSA) with a block almost entirely similar to PALAAA02.RMB. With the exception that this new block, named PALAAA03.RMB, is inhabited by Lady Doryana Flyte, Lord Auberon Flyte, Lord Perwright and Farrington. Also, the only original guard I left was assigned the Knights of the Flame faction id.

Of course, I had to do a single byte change in MAPS.BSA to make the Anticlere location use this new block instead of the former generic one.

This works in classic and even better in DFU, as in classic, faction reputation from building unique NPCs is not taken correctly into account.

Here are some screenshots:
Court of Anticlere.png
Court of Anticlere.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 2946 times
The modified bsa files can be downloaded here: https://ufile.io/tmi5g

Hazelnut

Re: [MOD] Court of Anticlere

Post by Hazelnut »

That's really cool.

Not sure if you're aware but DFU has a mechanism for mods to override the classic data. Currently it's only available for building interior blocks, but I could easily extend it was needed for a mod idea. It's much easier to edit JSON text files than binary data as well. Just in case you have any more ideas. Obviously this is only useful for DFU players, but it also has the added advantage of installing just like any other DFU mod.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Thanks Hazelnut :)

I'm aware of DFU modding capabilities and as you say it's much more easier to edit JSON files. Actually I was binary editing BLOCKS.BSA because I was planning to fix all wrongly assigned NPC faction ids in BLOCKS.BSA (those that let you encounter Thaik, The Crow, Lord Kilbar or a so-called Warlock in numerous houses throughout the Iliac Bay). But as I learnt to toy with DFU core classes to get the offsets I needed, I went a little further...

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Woo-hoo! Cool stuff! Looks great! :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I like it... also the fact I remade all the NPCs to high res makes it even better to me, because now theres a chance to actually meet them :)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Looks like Zadroter is also working on art for at least one of these Anticlere NPCs - see the third post etc. in this "Creator's Corner" forum topic (ignore the unrelated "Book UI" topic title) - https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1686. Just FYI in case you two may want to collaborate. :) There's a lot of overlap/confusion between the "Modder Discussion" and "Creator's Corner" forums in practice, so you might have missed it if you're looking only here in the "Modder Discusion" forum (your topic here may be more appropriate for the "Creator's Corner" forum in any case). Anyway, cool idea.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Ferital wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:05 pm Thanks Hazelnut :)

I'm aware of DFU modding capabilities and as you say it's much more easier to edit JSON files. Actually I was binary editing BLOCKS.BSA because I was planning to fix all wrongly assigned NPC faction ids in BLOCKS.BSA (those that let you encounter Thaik, The Crow, Lord Kilbar or a so-called Warlock in numerous houses throughout the Iliac Bay). But as I learnt to toy with DFU core classes to get the offsets I needed, I went a little further...
Yeah, I know the feeling when you get sucked into something exciting and interesting. Anyway, if you do ever decide you want to make a DFU version of enhanced mod let me know and I'll be happy to help.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Yeah, the two forums could use an intro thread to explain the difference. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:30 pm Yeah, the two forums could use an intro thread to explain the difference. :)
I suggest they should instead be merged into a single new "Mods & Features - Active Development" forum, with the current "Mods & Features General" forum renamed to "Mods & Features - Ideas & Suggestions". All three of these current forums, despite the front-page descriptions, have had quite a lot of overlap in practice. Of course, this is up to Interkarma - I vaguely remember about a year ago he was considering reorganizing these redundant forums in a similar way, but he's obviously got just a few other things going on right now. Anyway, just my obsessive-compulsive craziness showing yet again. :lol:

Zadroter

Post by Zadroter »

I think everything worls verll for me as it is. Modder Discussions is more for people who do actual mods that will work, and creator's corner for people like me who just "do stuff"