Book UI

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: Book UI

Post by King of Worms »

I had those white/black borders issue as well.
I managed to get rid of it, but Im not sure if it can be applyed to your sprites.

Because my art in a 1st phase is very high res (original x 16) I do my work on this highres sprite and than convert it to a half resolution and I use bilinear resize algo. That creates soft edges of the sprite, and those soft edges blend in the game without the white outlines.

Try this one if its better
aaaa.png
aaaa.png (251.18 KiB) Viewed 3142 times

Also, I discussed it with Interkarma before, and he made a tutorial for me, with a working method to get rid of the issue. Thanks God I did not have to use it, because it takes time and I had 1000s of sprites to apply it to - impossible.

But for you, it should work quite ok

https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic ... s&start=10

EddieMattos

Post by EddieMattos »

Zadroter wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:11 pm Thank you too! Well, this picture just from UESP, I knew it's something wrong with it due to how pixels look. Looks like someone upscaled it wrong way and lost aspect ratio. It's not first time I see such things on wikia sites.
No problem, but maybe I'm wrong since the game isn't made to work on widescreen (?).
King of Worms wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:26 pm [...] my art in a 1st phase is very high res (original x 16) I do my work on this highres sprite and than convert it to a half resolution and I use bilinear resize algo.
You´re using Waifu2x + XBR right?
I´ve made this using Waifu2x + hand painting on Krita , but it´s 4x bigger than the original sprite:
I do not know exactly the correct size (since the game was made for a 4: 3 resolution I have doubts about all the graphics.), but I think it's fine.

Zadroter

Post by Zadroter »

But for you, it should work quite ok
I kind of confused, so much text and posts, what I need to do again? :oops:

Anyway, without trilinear filter he is looks okay, I think

Ah, almost forgot - let me introduce you to Lady Doryanna Flyte in person. She have even at this render some minor pixel corruption issues. I fixed most of it, but not all, dunno what's the problem
In tilinear filter yeah, yet again the wite border

Actual sprite

Sorry for big images, spoilers for some reason don't want to work with imgur, or for other reason I can't quess. And this I hope not final versions of sprites, I don't like king's nose, some colors, some details, probably will change bottom part of lady. Dunno, for some reason for me they still feels like they kind of out of place.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

"You´re using Waifu2x + XBR right?"

Hi, I used waifu only for some HUD images, like the loading screen with a scroll and candle...
For sprites, waifu did not work good.

I use XBR4x with two passes, so thats efectively 16x the resolution of original.

ITS 3rd post from the bottom, the one with images of the man
https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic ... s&start=10

That portrait of a Ork is indeed very nice!

Zadroter

Post by Zadroter »

So in upscaling texture thread I seen this picture, and questioned myself, what if daggerfall had blocks that will look more like actual cities, rather than just placement of same 1-2 floor flat houses on flat floor?

And there made little test with house based on vanill a one, but with more detail and make it look more like actual medival house. What do you think? If idea looks nice, I can made test city block in style of more dence medival city, but more or less in original game style.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This would be fascinating to see executed in-game! Just to manage expectations though, there are serious engineering challenges related to this.
  • Door positions are read from classic game data. Besides replacing a model, it would need code support to match new buildings to interior records via relocated door positions.
  • If there is a different number of buildings in replacement block to classic block, then new interiors will need to be generated and made available somehow.
  • This is a big one: the quest system needs ways of knowing how to host quests in buildings. There's a very specific data format and discovery process for assigning quest sites that is deeply coupled to classic data. Likewise need support for building discovery and name generation, faction information, etc. Basically all the back-end wiring related to buildings.
  • Some LOD support would also be ideal for higher-density town environments, and perhaps some occlusion culling as well. That adds more complexity to the process too, but it's not going to be as big a challenge as those above.
As modable as DFU is, there are some structures that span so many other systems that change is difficult. Creating a generic solution for this while still running game from classic data raises a lot of problems as well. At some point, it becomes easier just to build a whole new game with different design goals. :)

Zadroter

Post by Zadroter »

Well, crap :lol:

I expected I can make model of new city block, interiors for it and sets of textures for different climate zones and times of the year
And then someone will help me port it in game, since I thought it will be same easy as in Morrowind editor - just attach "door teleport" exit, add to this buildings flag "general residence", then replace RESILAA00 block with this and then Allez hop! and your new block in game. Looks like it harder.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yeah, the way DF does this annoyingly difficult. And to make matters worse, the quest system uses simplified building data in MAPS.BSA in addition to full data in BLOCKS.BSA. And to make them even worse, the data doesn't always match between simplified and actual datasets (e.g. different building counts, types).

I had a terrible time pulling all this together again in a different engine while building the quest system. I was grateful just to get it working considering I didn't have any internal specs or source code to work from. :lol:

Morrowind is such a huge evolution over Daggerfall in many ways, and this definitely sounds like one of those cases.

Zadroter

Post by Zadroter »

Well, buying third party engine and then use it for next 17 years, make it worse and more broken every time is not evolution. MW just have user editor, while DF not
I will continue build it in free time, just to see how it will look, add detail and maybe somebody will help me port it just as dummy model just to see it in-game

Kaucukovnik

Post by Kaucukovnik »

Interkarma wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:48 am As modable as DFU is, there are some structures that span so many other systems that change is difficult. Creating a generic solution for this while still running game from classic data raises a lot of problems as well. At some point, it becomes easier just to build a whole new game with different design goals. :)
Maybe you should make that clear in the mission statement.

When I read that modding support is still just basic and saw rolling hills with grass already replacing generic nondescript wilderness, I got a completely different impression than what I'm reading now.

I'm already playing original Daggerfall in DOSBox and I'm happy with it. Just playing the exact same with polish isn't worth the effort.

Godspeed and bye, I guess.