High resolution paperdoll

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Kaucukovnik

High resolution paperdoll

Post by Kaucukovnik »

Hello everyone!

I have been replaying Daggerfall and while seeking information I have noticed that DF Unity seems to be really heading somewhere and soon it could help the game reach much more of its potential.
Since I'm already attempting illustrations of armor and weapons, I have decided Daggerfall could be good training with some further use to boot. Yesterday I started my attempt at recreating the inventory paperdoll graphics at higher resolution:

ImageImageImage

The face isn't quite the same, but I'm afraid that's the best I can do from such tiny source.

I am working at 10x the original resolution (1980 pixels tall), mainly for scaling and adjustment purposes. The intended viewing size is about half the full size. The images above are at 33%.

I would like to get some feedback on the graphics, and also on options for changes to sprite layering.
I think it would greatly ease further modifications and replacements if the left arm got separated into a new layer, so that all the torso and leg pieces wouldn't have to have this gap for it:

MrFlibble

Re: High resolution paperdoll

Post by MrFlibble »

That's kinda neat! Please don't forget about the correct aspect ratio issue, the characters would look leaner and taller on the original 4:3 display:
The face isn't quite the same, but I'm afraid that's the best I can do from such tiny source.
I suppose you could make the cheeks a bit narrower and enlarge the eyes, they look very small right now.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Great work! Keep going, would love to see full MOD for this! :)

Kaucukovnik

Post by Kaucukovnik »

Thanks for the praise and advice!

After adjustments:
ImageImage

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Looks great, I tryed something similar one year back, but I was not able to import it in the game. Maybe its working already. If not... than it will be working in future ;) Btw, are you Czech? The name.. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This looks great, well done! Paper doll currently doesn't support texture replacement due to technical limitations, but this is possible to fix.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Kaucukovnik wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:55 pm Thanks for the praise and advice!

After adjustments:
ImageImage
It's really pixellated in the original, but it looks like they were trying for brown eyebrows; different hairs grey at different rates.

Anyway, that's a nit-pick; looks like I'll be installing another art pack in some months time. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Kaucukovnik

Post by Kaucukovnik »

Moving on...

Is it possible to assign multiple sprites to a single equipment piece? If so, this is my proposal to change sprite layering:
-Separate left arm into a new sprite, to avoid manually adding gaps for it in many other sprites, as I mentioned in my first post. Shoulder would remain with the body, because it needs to go under the cuirass.
-Separate right shoulder from the rest of the pauldron, so that it can display over the cuirass while the rest of the arm goes behind it. Otherwise all chest armor and clothes would have to follow bare chest's shape. Wasn't much of an issue at low resolution, but it becomes a problem now.

Kaucukovnik

Post by Kaucukovnik »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:00 pm Btw, are you Czech? The name.. :)
Almost forgot to answer this...yes, indeed. Seems like retro game modding attracts disproportionate numbers of cz/sk people. :)

charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Looks good but the eyes are a bit weird. I think they need to be wider.