Limit climbing (a bit)

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
pango

Limit climbing (a bit)

Post by pango »

After throwing arrows while hanging from a ceiling, I think that may be a bit too powerful, and certainly not realistic.
I'd suggest:
- only allow one handed weapon while climbing/hanging when you have a good climbing skill (70% ?); Otherwise weapon is automatically sheathed when you start climbing;
- no two handed weapons while climbing.

What do you think?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Re: Limit climbing (a bit)

Post by King of Worms »

Makes sense... climbing also feels too easy atm. I remember I prayed I can climb the city walls back in the days. Now its no problem at basic level.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I agree that climbing is too easy for low skill levels, but I assume MeteoricDragon was planning to tighten that up once the climbing code is done. No idea what the current status of work is.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Alyndiar

Post by Alyndiar »

I also agree. While I do like that I can basically climb and hang nearly anywhere now, it does seem like the climbing skill is just too easy. I remember falling while climbing in Classic. Never happens now... And hanging is cool (like really cool), but I don't think you should be able to use anything except maybe short blade and other really light weapons while climbing and maybe none at all while hanging?

Alyndiar

Post by Alyndiar »

pango wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:40 pm After throwing arrows while hanging from a ceiling, I think that may be a bit too powerful, and certainly not realistic.
I'd suggest:
So, were you hanging by you teeth and shooting with both hands(but then, how do you aim :?: )? Or maybe hanging with one hand, loading arrows with your teeth, grabbing the bow with your feet to aim and pulling with your other hand to shoot?

Whatever the case, you need to be in a circus, not in Daggerfall :P

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Not at all to disrespect this great addition to DFU, but I also agree the advanced climbing system implementation is unrealistic/very overpowered at the moment. (And agree with Alyndiar that similar to using a two-handed melee weapon, using a bow while climbing doesn't make sense. Unless your teeth are really strong.) I understand it's still a WIP feature, though, so looking forward to future tweaks.

Alyndiar

Post by Alyndiar »

Oops, I have to correct my previous statement. At very high levels of climbing and archery, it is possible to do it...
Spoiler!
Full story is here : https://www.knoxnews.com/story/life/201 ... 100328224/
Be impressed, be very impressed...
Last edited by Alyndiar on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

But can it be done when hanging from a ceiling?

(OK, it can - just flip that photo 180 degrees.)

Alyndiar

Post by Alyndiar »

I'm pretty sure she could actually pull it off if presented with the idea. I also assume this is a 1 in a billion situation. I don't think there could me more that a handfull of people on earth that could pull that off...

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

For me the important thing about hang mode is getting over eaves on buildings. So moving short distances away from a vertical surface should not be extraordinarily hard but moving 10' across a ceiling should require magic, extraordinary skill, and/or special equipment. Without magic making your climb skill superhuman you should not be allowed to use your hands for anything else. Climb speed should also be determined by skill.

So at any skill level you can attempt to climb a vertical wall. At some skill level you can move up and down at full speed (down should be faster than up by like 1.25-1.5x). At some point above that, you are able to lock your feet to the wall and use your hands. At some point above that you would be able to move on a vertical surface while using your hands (to cast, shoot, etc), until your skill was high enough to move full speed. Same for ceilings and other inverted horizontal surfaces. Think about what a high level thief with a ring of spider climbing could do. Like a cross between spiderman and a super ninja.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.