Dev build/Linux: "fake" dungeon doors do nothing when clicked [CLOSED]

pango

Dev build/Linux: "fake" dungeon doors do nothing when clicked [CLOSED]

Post by pango »

In classic those doors, which cannot be opened because there's nothing behind them, display "This house has nothing of value" when clicked; This also happens when found in dungeons.
In Daggerfall Unity's dungeons this message, which felt out-of-place, has been removed, and those doors do not react at all. This confuses people even more than the out-of-place message, and they often lose time, stamina and magicka trying everything they can to open them.
I'm not sure what could communicate best the fact they cannot be opened, thru a better message than the original, or something else.

(posted as bug rather than feature request since DFU departs from classic behavior already)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Re: Dev build/Linux: "fake" dungeon doors do nothing when clicked

Post by Interkarma »

My preference is for exterior door textures in dungeons to exhibit no activation behaviour whatsoever. IMO this is a bug in classic, not the other way around.

If consensus here is that exterior static doors in dungeons should present the "nothing of value" text, then I'll change it back. But I also demand you let me turn this into an easter egg in the manner of my choosing. :)

pango

Post by pango »

Personally I do not want the classic text, it's too cryptic at best. I also suspect it's just a bug.
My preference would be for a message like "that door won't budge" (for some reason I remember the voice from Realm of the Haunting), something like that. Or if the case can be detected ahead of time, to not use a door texture.
-- Charles Goodhart

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Assuming the underlying bug isn't fixable (i.e. by preventing the incorrect/unusable door texture from appearing in the dungeon in the first place), I'd also prefer a message along the lines of pango's suggestion, but one that makes it extremely clear that the door isn't really a door and will never open - i.e. not only is the door stuck, but maybe it's just an image painted on the wall (yeah, that specifically would be sort of lame, but hopefully you understand my intent). Newbies (and some oldbies) will likely continue to be confused and frustrated otherwise.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Why not just have a message pop up that says broken teleporter ?
Or whatever they're called in the game, Gates, gateway's ?
Sounds simple enough...
I'm actually intrigued by the Easter egg idea, let's see what happens :D
Check out my YouTube Channel!

pango

Post by pango »

This is not a bug report about do-nothing teleporters, this is about what looks like standard doors, but also do nothing.
I think players cannot assume as much about teleporters (I've never used one in real life, and don't plan to; and they're erratic in game often enough to not be trusted) as they can about doors.
-- Charles Goodhart