Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Jay_H

Re: Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

Post by Jay_H »

Very well. But I will say you have overthought things :D

If I could have allied mobs at my disposal that could follow you around... Man, that would open up some crazy stuff!

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:29 am Very well. But I will say you have overthought things :D

If I could have allied mobs at my disposal that could follow you around... Man, that would open up some crazy stuff!
Probably. But also, I should sleep.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm starting to wonder about something now, the quantity. I just watched through a short series of DFU videos with the quest pack installed.

With only two exceptions, in 6 videos (4+ hours) the player only ever touched my quests because that's what the game issued. If you actually tried to look for classic quests, they'd be rather hard to find. For the knightly orders, for example, I have more than double the number of classic quests as custom quests (13 vs 29). I wonder whether the classic ones won't get drowned out by the mass of custom quests I'm adding in, which will only compound as I add more.

Does anyone see the same "problem" I do? Sooner or later, with this quest pack installed, it'll be the vast majority of what the game issues, making ordinary content hard to find. Does that seem like a bad thing to anyone else? I have some mixed feelings about it.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

It doesn't look like a problem to me, taking into account that it's an optional mod that people have to wilfully make the choice to install. If at some point I feel like recreating the classic Daggerfall experience with the familiar old quests, I can just disable it. But if I feel like playing an improved version with more quests, then the more the better! (as long as they are good quality, of course, which I think they are). To me, getting repeated quests less often is an improvement, and getting repeated quests less often implies getting classic quests less often.

pango

Post by pango »

Couldn't have said it better, I assume people installing mods understand they'll get even more content that was not part of the original game. Or we end up with those coffee cups with a "BEWARE, MAY CONTAIN HOT BEVERAGE" warning on them :lol:
Also, it's not like your quests style clashes with the overall mood of the original game, on the contrary from what I've experienced you seem very careful about that. What you've done is probably the best answer a Daggerfall fan like me could have expected, in terms of more stories that the original writers could have made if they had more time on their hands :)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Okay then, I won't worry about it so much :) Thank you for your input.

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

I just installed 0.732 and am adding mods, textures and quest packs. Went to add the QP1 update by Jay and am baffled by GitHub. This will probably sound stupid, but I can't find a way to download anything. Even the word is missing. Every link I click on opens a directory tree. Please help but don't tell anyone that I needed it :lol:

pango

Post by pango »

Click on "Clone or download" green button, then "Download ZIP"
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

There is no 'clone or download' green button. The only green button there says "sign up". Is being a 'member' required for a download?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

This is what I see on github without logging in. Is yours different?