Experimental Smaller Dungeons

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Jay_H

Re: Experimental Smaller Dungeons

Post by Jay_H »

I completely agree. The knowledge that the enemy/item is going to be on this dungeon block is a huge sanity saver for me. When you're in one of those purgatory dungeons made of two flooded towers and an intertwining octopus hallway, you could be looking for literally days before you see a new sign of life. I absolutely love this.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Yes, dungeons have disconnected blocks, in which monsters can spawn and annoying you. :)

Also, this feature keeps attracting my attention. Because yes... it can take me days, real-time, to finish a dungeon quest.

Although they'd be easier if DFU had the minimap that Classic has.

I've explained the yellow blob before. :P
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:35 am Yes, dungeons have disconnected blocks, in which monsters can spawn and annoying you. :)

Also, this feature keeps attracting my attention. Because yes... it can take me days, real-time, to finish a dungeon quest.

Although they'd be easier if DFU had the minimap that Classic has.

I've explained the yellow blob before. :P
Agreed. People underestimate the yellow blob. It's rudimentary, but an enormous help in classic.

hello

Post by hello »

i like the option! though right now in my opinion the dungeons tend to be a bit too much on the small side.. may i make a suggestion to have a couple more settings in the future:
- adding a sort of 'middle ground' size of dungeons, not as big as the original, but bigger than smaller dungeons are right now
- adding an option to randomize the dungeon size option for every dungeon, for variety

it's refreshing to find the quest objective 5 minutes into a dungeon sometimes but when it happens every single time there is something lost about the game in my opinion. daggerfall is about dungeons above all else in my opinion! i turned the option off again for now.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

What the quest item spawner could do, is prioritize locations farther from the entrance.

Actually, that could be a toggle. "Farther Quest Item Spawn", "Random Quest Item Spawn", "Closer Quest Item spawn" or something like that. So you could have smaller dungeons with quest items tending to spawn farther in, or larger dungeons with items tending to spawn closer to the entrance.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Did I mention? Bring back passwall.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Jukic

Post by Jukic »

@J: That Arena uber-spell would be very challenging to implement due to the level/engine design. Best to forget it and focus on various teleporting/transporting options :)

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Oh I know. But the game already puts together blocks to build dungeons. A passwall spell would put a special 10' hall segment block 90°to the wall you cast it on. You could do special things like create rest areas by levitating up and installing a passwall in an existing wall. Create shortcuts; reach orphan sections etc. I just think it's a neat idea. I would be surprised if it was anything but difficult to implement.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

jayhova wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:29 pm Oh I know. But the game already puts together blocks to build dungeons. A passwall spell would put a special 10' hall segment block 90°to the wall you cast it on. You could do special things like create rest areas by levitating up and installing a passwall in an existing wall. Create shortcuts; reach orphan sections etc. I just think it's a neat idea. I would be surprised if it was anything but difficult to implement.
This is something that Unity's free UMA 2 asset could probably do. I don't know if the license would allow, though.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

So I just played my first dungeon with this option on. To review:

* Dungeon was still large enough I got lost a few times.
* Dungeon was still puzzling.
* Dungeon was a lot more fun.
* Completing the dungeon was satisfying, rather than "Light! Light at last! I can see the sky!" :lol: