Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
CasualClark

Re: Tedious Travel 0.2.2

Post by CasualClark »

Just another thank you for this wonderful mod. With all of the other great changes to DF with Unity and the many mods available, and the nostalgia of playing this game again, one of my all time favorites, and actually discovering far more of the game with your mod than I ever did before, I'm more hooked on this game than ever before.

Funny how this mod, which might otherwise be 'tedious', is in fact the only way I can play DF now. It forces me to plan in advance where to plant my anchor for teleporting, and not to accept every quest since most have a window of time to complete them. Makes the game far more immersive for me.

Keep up the great work!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

jedidia wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:08 am
but that assumes it was chosen due to technical performance limitation reasons so I thought I should ask.
It was, though somewhat arbitrarily.
The problem is that at some point, you start outrunning terrain generation and fall of the map. 25 was chosen because it seemed a reasonable maximum value where this didn't yet happen on lower mid-range hardware in a good days travel, though without mods. With the KoW overhaul, I actually started to fall of the map way sooner.
Also, the higher the compression, the more it exacerbates the problems with "false encounters" (an enemy *was* nearby, and travelling stopped, but you already outran him and he was nowhere to be seen) and overshooting destinations. All things that are depending on performance, of course.
Hi Jedidia, I decided to up the limit tonight and see if the recent optimisations allow for a higher upper limit. I found that there was a major performance issue in the mod and couldn't get above 40-50x so I took a look with the profiler. Every single frame was doing large numbers of fixed updates that cripples performance. Basically when you change the unity timeScale you should also change the fixedDeltaTime accordingly. It defaults to 0.02 of timeScale (50/sec) and if you change timeScale to 10 then it's doing 500/sec fixed updates.

Once I fixed that, and tested some more. My optimisations remove much of the stutter when crossing into new map pixels and I found that on my PC (R5 1600, RX580) with a speed 100 char on a horse I could travel at 150x no problem. I covered about a third of Daggerfall province. At 160x it got behind if loading a large location and I fell off the world. So I think that a sensible upper limit is 100x although that may not be possible on low spec computers, it should be fine for DFU min requirement and above. Maybe this could become a setting?

Anyway I've submitted a PR with these changes to your Tedious Travel mod github repo. Also cleared destination when loading or starting a game, I assume that was a bug. I seem to recall you were wondering how to span text across multiple lines on message boxes so I change a couple to use the DaggerfallUI helper shortcuts to give you an example. You can also see many examples in the inventory window class or the quest journal window class.

Let me know if you have any questions.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Wow, thanks! I hope I'll get around to taking a look at it this week.

I wasn't aware DFUnity used a fixed timestep. Had I known that I would indeed have had that idea myself, but I just assumed that it was using a varying timestep as I couldn't see anything that would require fixed timestep precision. No wonder it was running so slow... :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I wasn't specifically aware of this either. :) But a lot of the entity udpates use it - I imagine so they're constant and never get affected by framerate changes.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

jedidia

Re: Tedious Travel 0.3.0

Post by jedidia »

Here we are, the "need for speed" update, all credits to Hazelnut. I didn't need to do more than merge the pull request, build, run a few quick tests, and push a new release. Thanks a lot, man!

With this drastic performance improvement, the mod now integrates into the game better than I ever thought possible. It's quite a seamless experience!

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

This is still working for me with the current Dev build, good stuff, and it does run better I'm seeing it, I can go up to like 20 now..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Yep there's no incompatibility issues. Should be able to get up higher once the parallel terrain gen comes online, but it mostly just reduces the stutters when moving to a new map pixel so if your FPS is getting low it wont fix that.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

This mod doesn't work with the map image they redid here viewtopic.php?p=21034#top

It works without the mod on so I guess it's the ports thing that's in it.
TRAV0I000.IMG.png in the folder.
I think they just turned that on, and I was checking it out..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Huh, that seems strange... The map loads the same resource as the default map, so if that resource is replaced, I don't quite see why it wouldn't work. Will have to take a look at it.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I'm not sure where to put this, but I found a dungeon (The Citadel of Yoemcraft) while tedious travelling, and it's not marked on my map.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.