Mod idea: misc skills not able to raise

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Narf the Mouse

Re: Mod idea: misc skills not able to raise

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:32 am Daaaang, Narf! These minimods of your are real game changers. Any idea what'll happen if one of my skills already exceeds its cap?
It'll be dropped down to the cap, but you'll still have your skill uses, so it won't affect your levelling.

They're pretty quick and easy to make, which is a good workflow for me. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Correction: An unintended side-effect may be that you level faster, due to not taking as many skill uses to raise your "low" skill.

Another possibility is that you'll level repeatedly, as the skill keeps "going up".

So,..Yeah, if you're installing this, just remember this is v0.1 of "I just wrote this today." ;)

I'll edit this into the other post.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Lorex

Post by Lorex »

Actually your mod works pretty well, I found no side effects at the moment. To be sure I made a test, starting running skil at 25, already capped and highest minor skill.
I managed to increase it 6 or 7 times without level up (it takes 2 skill increases at LV1 to level up). The level progression % remained at 86%.
After a while a major skill increased changing the LP% to 93. The I ncreased running 2 or 3 more times but i've never leveled up.

If the game calculates your level using this formula (from "Beginner guide to Daggerfall" site)

The official formula is: (INT((current total - starting total) + 28)/15) = your level

This means the game adds your current highest skills (primaries + 2 majors + 1 minor) and subtracts your starting highest skills (primaries + 2 majors + 1 minor). It adds 28 to the result and then divides the whole thing by 15, dropping any remainder.

it shouldn't be major problems with this mod.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hm... this looks pretty neat.

If nothing else, it will fix the fact that all characters end up with maxed Stealth :D

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:07 am Well, it works in testing, and capping skill uses would also cap level gain, so... v0.1 tech demo:

CategoricalSkillCaps.zip

What it does:

* Caps your primary, major, minor, and misc skills to the caps set in the settings.
* By default, the settings cap primary skills at 100, major skills at 75, minor skills at 50, and misc skills at 25.

Testing: Created a character, edited all skills to 100; caps were applied. Set a random skill to 20,000 uses; character started gaining levels after every 7 hours of rest, but skills did not increase.

Planned:

* Need to know where the skill uses are.
* Need to figure out how to cap skill uses based on skill values, and character level. This will most likely be on a toggle.

Edit: Warnings:

An unintended side-effect of reaching the cap may be that you level faster, due to not taking as many skill uses to raise your "low" skill.

Another possibility is that you'll level repeatedly, as the skill keeps "going up".

So,..Yeah, if you're installing this, just remember this is v0.1 of "I just wrote this today." ;) No guarantees.
I have a question: I'd love to use this mod to reach a completely opposite objective :lol:

Is it possible, if you set all the Cap Settings to 100, to raise all your skill to 100, or the "Master just one skill, then max 95 to the others" logic remains? :?:

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Would also like to know does this mod disable the master only 1 skill while rest goes to 95 mechanic?
Edit: Does anyone have a quick way to test his?
Edit2: Managed to test it with an old character and no it does not remove the master only 1 mechanic.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

...I literally forgot I wrote this. :oops:

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:51 am ...I literally forgot I wrote this. :oops:
DFU is a hell of a drug :lol:
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:59 am
Narf the Mouse wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:51 am ...I literally forgot I wrote this. :oops:
DFU is a hell of a drug :lol:
Indeed it is. Over 300 hours of gameplay in a month...:D