Blocking/Parry mechanics?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
daggerdude

Blocking/Parry mechanics?

Post by daggerdude »

One thing i hated about daggerfall is the generic clanking sound when you swing a weapon at a humanoid. my idea on how daggerfall combat could be jazzed up.

1.) Arena's manual had a parry mechanic apparently if you swung at the same time your attack negated each other. this is how parries are done IRL, moving a weapon to intercept proactively. I dont know if this was ever possible in arena or was just in the manual, but i'd like to be able to intercept an attack with a sword swing. A succesfull parry dice roll (attack greater than opponent skill and damage) would freeze the opponent allowing for a free attack. A failled parry dice roll would freeze the player like in battle spire considerably allowing for a free hit.

2.) Morrowind had shield blocking and a skill for it. i'd love to have a shield pop up randomly to intercept a blow. good hexen sprites for that that could theoretically be coded int.

3.) oblivion had a block button. there were some things i liked about this system so i'd like an option to block with a weapon or shield when its more intuitive to do so, such as fighting a much stronger opponent or an animal where attacks are harder to read or something, would block the % that block skill is.

4.) quick kick. kicks like a normal attack but only pushes an enemy away with a chance to stun on critical strike, does no damage.

I would love to work up sprites like i do for doom to smooth out weapon swings and make block and parry animations, but as i understand it daggerfall does not have a animation keyframe type system where you can simply call an image and give it a time on screen and coordinates and individually direct each frame .
=

Jay_H

Re: Blocking/Parry mechanics?

Post by Jay_H »

An idea I had was to implement a real-time blocking ability, where if you're using a shield you can press a button and a little shield icon would appear on the screen. It could reduce damage based on timing:

0.0 to 0.15 seconds within click: 100% blocked
0.151 to 0.35 seconds within click: 75% blocked
0.351 to 0.5 seconds within click: 50% blocked
0.51 to 0.65 seconds within click: 25% blocked

I think melee tank characters need an additional way to save damage rather than just dodging. Right now speed is supreme in Daggerfall when that isn't ideal for every character.

jayhova

Re: Blocking/Parry mechanics?

Post by jayhova »

I tend to think that Daggerfalls D&D like mechanic of just upping your AC for having a shield should stay as is. That being said you could add various sounds for when different pieces of armor take a hit, parrying with your sword, blocking with your shield. Maybe one day we can watch as enemies block and/or dodge all those low level hits that are so ineffective.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.