will daggerfall support models/animations to support on screen weapons?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
daggerdude

will daggerfall support models/animations to support on screen weapons?

Post by daggerdude »

native support i mean. I was contemplating making voxel weapons and thought it would fit for daggerfall to have high quality voxel weapons or at least battlespire quality md2 models and animations in the game.

King of Worms

Re: will daggerfall support models/animations to support on screen weapons?

Post by King of Worms »

daggerdude wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:07 am native support i mean. I was contemplating making voxel weapons and thought it would fit for daggerfall to have high quality voxel weapons or at least battlespire quality md2 models and animations in the game.
I remember either MrFibble or MasonFace said he will implement his spriter into the unity. It changes 3d models to the sprites, including weapons... and those sprites are than shaded by the enviroment, so they are not static like the old ones, but dark in dungs and light at the day etc...

Other than that, no idea, sorry

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

I remember either MrFibble or MasonFace said he will implement his spriter into the unity.
T'was I! (https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1613) I've already got a prototype for Spriter weapons in Unity, but not in Daggerfall Unity; been distracted by all the AI upscaling, and... you know, having a baby and stuff. And work too, I guess.

As far as voxels, I don't think Unity supports voxels, except maybe those that have been converted to polygons with like a marching cube algorithm, but I could be wrong. Although Unity does support something called a 3D texture, but I think that's something else entirely. Since you mentioned voxels, I think you'll like the fact that Spriter is configurable so that you can change the resolution on-the-fly to get all the jaggy, luscious pixelness you want, or as sharp and you want. Same with the frames per second.

I would simply say that if you were to create weapon models and animations, I have no doubt that they will get used eventually. I've been petitioning artists to share a weapon model with me so I can do some testing, but I haven't heard anything back from megaten (check his work: https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1612) and VMBlast's hard disk failed and he lost the models he was working on. I'm too embarrassed to showcase my latest Spriter demo with my crappy war hammer made out of box and cylinder primitives...

Now, to get to the crux of your question:
If I had to guess, support for replacing 2D weapons with 3D ones won't be considered until after DFU version 1.0. Until then, you can bake your models and animations into sprites like what megaten is doing. Just make sure you keep you models and animations backed up and safe until full 3D weapons are implemented in DFU!

If I've learned anything from working in this community, it's that if you'd like to see something done, just jump in and get started! It's a very friendly and helpful community. We're all just here to play the best version of Daggerfall that can be created, and in that spirit, it's in all of our best interests to help each other out.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

I used 3d studio max for a bit so i was hoping to get used to blender now since i do not have access to 3dstudio. I made static models with texture baking and knew how to do basic animations with key frames, no character rigging or anything like that. used a lot of mental ray textures.

anyway, i may do that, but i was particularly interested in toying with voxels.

As far as a model and animations and textures and such, i may be arsed to whip up a low poly thing in my spare time, might do me good. Although the fellow making those delicious models will no doubt respond before i could get to it.

what format do you need? what exactly would be your criteria for your test project?

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

what format do you need? what exactly would be your criteria for your test project?
I think .obj will work. Just need an idle animation and one attack animation. Don't have to get too carried away with texturing if you don't want to; just flat shaded is fine. It would probably be easiest to a weapon that doesn't show the player's hands, so long sword, war hammer, or mace. I won't need anything real high poly or anything so feel free to keep it simple.

I don't recall the particulars, but there are some quirks with making meshes in Blender for Unity. The scale and definition of the Z axis need to be adjusted on export, but you're probably aware of that already.

BTW, what's your interest in voxels? When I think of voxels, I usually think about those voxel models in games like Blood and Shadow Warrior. They were so cool back in the day! Do you have an example of what kind of voxel stuff you're wanting to do? I have to admit, when I think of voxels in context of Daggerfall weapons, I think of the Minecraft pickaxe and I cringe a little...