Concerning Audio Issues in PreAlpha 0.7.36 (And continuing bug reports)

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Steep

Concerning Audio Issues in PreAlpha 0.7.36 (And continuing bug reports)

Post by Steep »

Hello,

I am having extremely gravely audio in my game. I am running the build PreAlpha 0.7.36. Before being told that the audio has nothing to do with DOSBOX, I spent a ton of time messing with the audio settings in DOSBOX. As I cannot see any options within DUnity for audio, I am at a loss. It is, I believe a MIDI audio issue. I am including a link to a video with the affected sound within it, not for any form of self promotion, but so that you can hear the music for yourself. I am not sure if I set up something wrong, or if there is an easy fix that may be eluding me. Thank you.

Below is the link to the audio issue, so that an accurate understanding of the issue can be attained.
https://youtu.be/cXP8Ih6tKBI?t=605
Last edited by Steep on Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Re: Concerning Audio Issues in PreAlpha 0.7.36

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums. :)

You're correct that DOSBox isn't involved, you only need a good copy of the DOS game files to read from. Daggerfall Unity uses it's own internal MIDI synth and SoundFont. It's a fairly self-contained system and I don't think anyone has raised this issue with music playback before.

It's hard to say what might be causing the problem. The stuttery playback sounds a bit like an I/O issue on the synth thread. Do you experience the same problem just playing the game by itself without any streaming capture hardware/software in the mix? And are you running any mods at all?

The first thing I'd try is deleting your DFU install and grabbing a fresh copy of the game files. Here's the way I like to install the game.
  • Download known-good "DaggerfallGameFiles.zip" from Live Builds. Unzip this somewhere like "C:\Games\Daggerfall"
  • Download latest version of Daggerfall Unity and unzip somewhere like "C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity"
  • When you run Daggerfall Unity again, point it to the known-good game files from first step.
Something else to try is downloading ByteMixer's remastered music pack. This mod replaces the MIDI music with standard OGG files played by the engine itself, rather than the C# MIDI Synth. You might have better luck with this, and the remastered music sounds great too.

I hope that is of some help. Please let us know how you get on. Good luck! :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Welcome! What Interkarma said ,) I enjoyed the video, more more!!

Steep

Post by Steep »

Hi,

And thank you both! I am not running any mods at this time. I will try the Remastered Music to see if that works. Thank you again, I am having a right blast with this game, I have never played Daggerfall before, and your game is an excellent way to discover it!

Steep

Post by Steep »

Thankfully using the new audio files worked beautifully! Much appreciated!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Ah, excellent news! :)

pango

Post by pango »

Steep wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:04 am Thankfully using the new audio files worked beautifully! Much appreciated!
Hi Steep,
Great sessions yesterday again! :D

For those not following the stream, the worse bugs I've seen so far, beside this audio issue that has now a workaround, have been
  1. random fall thru the floor when exiting dungeons;
  2. some random fall thru the floor while crossing rifts upper edges.
  3. game lockups by trying to activate magic items with no magic item to activate on hand (I submitted a PR for this one)
(0.7.36)
I may try to find the exact timeframes for those issues later if that helps debugging.
I haven't tried to reproduce (2) either yet.
Last edited by pango on Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the reporting on this Pango. :)

Could you quickly clarify what you mean by "crossing rifts upper edges", I'm not sure I understand this one. Cheers.

pango

Post by pango »

Hi Interkarma,
Sadly it seems those have not reached Youtube archiving (yet?), so the best way for me would be to attempt to reproduce the issue.

If I try to describe what I think happened in the case I remember, he was walking around one of those L shaped rifts (with two rope bridges across); Because of the pillars in each corner, aiming at the door of the nearby cabin he attempted a shortcut by walking over a corner of the rift, and immediately the screen went black, most likely having fallen thru the floor. The very top of the screen was covered on stream, so I don't know if any motor mode was triggered at that time.

It happened another time before that, but I don't remember the circumstances, the video would help even more for that one...
Last edited by pango on Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I see what you mean by rift now, thank you. Interested in seeing if you can reproduce so we can see what's happening.

I've not experienced falling through ground when exiting a dungeon. Do you know what dungeon the player was inside of?