Using Drain Fatigue / Sleep Offensively

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.

Should Drain Fatigue / Sleep be useful as offensive spells against enemies?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:34 am

Yes (enemy can become exhausted and vulnerable like player)
100%
No (enemy cannot become exhausted, matches classic)
No votes

Total votes: 14

BansheeXYZ

Re: Using Drain Fatigue / Sleep Offensively

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Well since no one responded to my post, I'll just say that it doesn't seem like an issue if the enemy stops moving at 0. It would be more confusing if the spell did nothing. In fact, it's probably a bug.

I'll also say that the spell is unlikely to be cast directly. Why damage stamina when you can just sleep or paralyze? It'll be useful if it shows up on a weapon, but as a spell it's redundant and kind of boring. What would you rather do, throw fireballs at things or invisibly damage their stamina and wait until they tire? I've never seen a spell like this in other games and that's probably why.

comatosephoenix

Post by comatosephoenix »

Hey Banshee, I'm not an expert but I think I can answer those questions,
BansheeXYZ wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:21 pm

-Do enemies actually have a full compliment of stats to drain? If so, what is the point of Drain Luck or Drain Personality on a monster? Were some of these included by mistake?
Yep, enemies have a full set of stats even in original daggerfall, these stats work mostly like the player characters stats for damage rolls, personality is mostly irrelevant

-Do all enemies have fatigue points? How many on, for example, a rat? Do undead enemies have stamina given that they're dead and wouldn't tire? It's hard for me to imagine a skeleton getting exhausted and needing sleep.
I don't have anything to back this up other then the fact enemies have stats like the player, the max fatigue would be strength + endurance like the player this means a rat would have 95 fatigue points, while an orc sergeant would have 165 fatigue points. there isn't anything special for undead although... wraiths have 950 endurance? is that a typo? someone tell me thats a typo.

-Why do non-dmg spells like Silence, Charm, Soul Trap, Drain, and Pacify have elemental selection in the spell maker? These should all be magic based. Another oversight in classic? This makes no sense whatsoever, players are gonna be utterly confused by this. If you told me during character creation that if I made myself immune to magic, I'd still be susceptible to fire-based silence, I'd be like "wtf" and start questioning if any of my choices were going to do as I expect. I'd say instant death (Disintegrate) also belongs to this group, and possibly paralyze, or at least fire-based paralyze.
This is a little bit vague, but magic reflection/absorbtion works on spells regardless of element, magic resistance works like elemental resistance to 'magic' typed spells.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

comatosephoenix wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:38 amThis is a little bit vague, but magic reflection/absorbtion works on spells regardless of element, magic resistance works like elemental resistance to 'magic' typed spells.
Are you talking about "Spell Reflection"? It reflects spells regardless of element, which is clear from the name. I'm not talking about that spell or trait, I'm talking about immunity/resistance to spells by category.

If you go into the spell maker, you'll see that most non-elemental spells (Dispel, Shield, Light, Free Action, Transfer, Detect, Teleport, etc) are hardcoded as "magic" and you cannot change the element from "magic" to "fire". But on Drain, Charm, Pacify, Soul Trap, Silence & Disintegrate, you can. It appears to be an oversight bug specifically affecting all offensive targeting spells. It seems odd Transfer wasn't affected. Maybe because it's half offensive half buff?

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

There was someone making a bloodless corpse mod - this would be nice to have in the game because honestly the spells are otherwise worthless. I think that bethesda had bigger plans but they bit off more than they could chew and this sort of fell to the wayside.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Not "making!" Finished! :D

I'd totally be enthused for a lying-down sprite for enemies who fall asleep, but I wouldn't blame Interkarma for stopping short of it.