KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
mikeprichard

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by mikeprichard »

Just to share my own experience, on my Win64 setup (i7-5820K 3.30GHz, Nvidia GTX 1070) I've also been setting Shadows to low or medium all along, and have never had problems running the Distant Terrain mod (along with Enhanced Sky and DREAM). Understandably, DREAM (particularly the main textures module) is much more resource-intensive than the other mods. I also don't see any performance difference when using Mountains and Hills instead of Distant Terrain; in any case (and no offense to the great Mountains and Hills mod), I can never go back to a game without Distant Terrain in the load order!

Of course, my setup may be somewhat better than others', but the upcoming DFU builds including Hazelnut's new optimizations will hopefully enable most, if not all, DFU players to enjoy the same performance.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

mikeprichard wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:45 pm Of course, my setup may be somewhat better than others', but the upcoming DFU builds including Hazelnut's new optimizations will hopefully enable most, if not all, DFU players to enjoy the same performance.
Fingers crossed. Please bear in mind it only improves the performance of generating terrain when crossing into new map pixels or teleporting, it will have no effect on how well things run once generation has been done.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Ah, OK - thanks for clarifying. But smoothing out those little delays when crossing map zones should noticeably help.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Work in progress.

I think the image this is based on is from a post from the XL forums... if the author is still around, I will credit him gladly. Was it Rhymer?

Ive upscaled it, cleaned, added the yellow borders, ship with reflections, see monster and few touches here and there. I will add a stone tabs around the manp based on the original - AI upscaled by MasonFace, when/if he has the time to do it...

When all is done, I will try to match the colors/brightness/saturation towards to original if possible.

Not sure if I will keep the scratch mark across the sea near the ship..

Its 1920*1200 (6 times 320x200)
TravMap.jpg
TravMap.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 2053 times

Alyndiar

Post by Alyndiar »

Once again, I am flabbergasted by what I see :o
Great work, once again!

pango

Post by pango »

Really nice work!
King of Worms wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:47 pm Not sure if I will keep the scratch mark across the sea near the ship..
You mean that diagonal that crosses the whole map? That's one strange artefact...
Could it be that the original map had parallels?

Because... would it make sense to fix the compass?
From the Tamriel map we know that the Illiac Bay is actually oriented NE-SW, so the compass should be rotated clockwise to be world accurate; But then that would not be compatible with the trajectory of the sun...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I think its supposed to look like a wear of that map, a scratch, or a fold mark... there were more surface scratches, dots, I removed them. I can do the same with this one... I think I will :)

Thanks for input everyone'

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ive recompiled the mod with the new "no compression" option and I must report that the initialization takes basicaly 1 second instead of 1 minute.
Loading is faster, but not by order of magnitude as the initialization.
Still, its overall improvement and Im very happy about that!
Now I will try to make the new maps working (I so far failed at that)
And I will try to contact the contributors for their latest versions so I can include it in the mod as well.
Ive improved few things here and there as well in the meantime.

So the new version will be quite a jump forward again.

One more thing... prepare for a 5gb download :lol:
But to me, thats a acceptable size for almost a complete remaster.

PS: Building the mod in UNITY is also much faster, I no longer have to spend hours building a release for just one target platform (let alone three) Thats a great thing for me and my CPU, we are too old for this :)

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:45 pm Ive recompiled the mod with the new "no compression" option and I must report that the initialization takes basicaly 1 second instead of 1 minute.
Loading is faster, but not by order of magnitude as the initialization.
Nice, maybe I will try releasing the handpainted models as an uncompressed package.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I think its worth considering it, I dont think the size of the mods is of any concern. New games have easily 50gb and nobody really cares.
Btw I fired it up with the most recent version of you mod and god damn!!! Shadow bugs are a history, new lights are beautiful and it all fits together just perfectly. Great job man!!!!