Video Thread

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Jay_H

Re: Video Thread

Post by Jay_H »

A rather fascinating demonstration of Daggerfall Unity's combat mechanics among PC and multiple mobs, lasting several minutes: http://youtu.be/z5K50NhpHEg?t=2052 (language warning)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

A recent upgrade to my computer has allowed me to begin recording game footage. I'll make some documenting my quests over time.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nice, Jay! This is a great way to show off your work.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:26 pm A rather fascinating demonstration of Daggerfall Unity's combat mechanics among PC and multiple mobs, lasting several minutes: http://youtu.be/z5K50NhpHEg?t=2052 (language warning)
unfortunately it is rather a demonstration of completely broken rest mechanics spawning way too many enemies...
That poor guy tries to rest about 50 times in 40 minutes and did not manage to fully heal up once.
This is seriously broken in dfunity. In classic df there spawn way fewer enemies
Has this already been fixed? Video is from 1 month ago thats why i ask

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:54 am unfortunately it is rather a demonstration of completely broken rest mechanics spawning way too many enemies...
I have a deeper deconstruction of random spawns during rest in this post with some data. If you repeat the test under controlled circumstances, you'll find classic and DFU actually have almost identical resting spawn rates. The exception is that classic will often present a total lack of spawns in dungeons for reasons unknown. This could be a bug in classic rather than the other way around.

When doing this sort of thing, it's important to run valid tests and record the results without emotion or gut feeling involved. I felt the same way as yourself until I tested and I was surprised to find that DFU and classic do not have substantially different resting interruption rates. If you'd like to add more tests and data to that topic, it would be most welcome. I'm always open to good constructive criticism leading to improvement. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I've mentioned before that I have almost no testing data beside myself, and I'm more skilled than the average Daggerfall player. My spawn rates have been skewed higher than they should be, and based on that video I drastically reduced them. I've altered several quests to spawn far more slowly.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yeah, there seems to be a common point of confusion between foes generated by running quests and genuine resting interruptions. Not sure of best way to combat that perception. Maybe a slightly different popup message when interrupting rest from quest spawns vs. random spawns might help.

Another idea is to suppress random spawns during rest for a few hours after create foe is used. That way at least player isn't getting a double-dose of spawns.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I don't think there's anything to be done on your end. Any altered message would need explanation in and of itself, lest someone think it's just a regular variation. Quest creators will have to be judicious about how much they spawn.

I've been trying to avoid the vanilla problem of "waiting 12 hours and no rat spawns in the store," so it's just a matter of refining spawn times. Merely a science to learn.

Steep

Post by Steep »

Hello,

Newbie to Daggerfall and Daggerfall Unity here. Really loving the game, and the work everyone here has put into it. I saw this thread, and it looks as though you are all interested in videos of the game and such. As I am currently working on a blind lets play of the game, I figured it seemed appropriate to share that here. I am streaming it on my Twitch channel, and I am uploading the archived VOD's to my Youtube Channel. Links for both are below.

Youtube [VOD] Archive: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1AosypKQ_D
Twitch Channel for Live Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/steepfrugut

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Ok, so comments after 45 minutes:

* Weapon and armour materials come in ladders. Leather is at the bottom; daedric is at the top. Immunity to Iron confers immunity to any lesser material. Since only leather is less than iron, and there are no leather weapons... Hand-to-hand (or claw-, fang-, tooth-, etc) damage is outside this system; nothing, not even daedra lords, are immune to hand-to-hand. As far as I know, all Elder Scrolls games follow that rule. This is probably because
Spoiler!
everyone is sort-of descended from deity in some odd way.
* You are immune to disease at level 1.

* Dungeons can have disconnected pieces that monsters can spawn into. This is kind of annoying.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.