Mod Index and guide

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
jayhova

Mod Index and guide

Post by jayhova »

I was thinking it would be nice for newbies and users in general if we had an index of the current (semi-official) mods. Mods should be vaguely listed in order of popularity. Each listing should have a general description of the mod and its features. Each listing should have any current issues and incompatibilities.

Update!:

The current implementation of this is live

Right now I am going to be testing with a few mod developers and getting some feedback. If you are using this and wish to provide feedback you may either post in this thread or DM me.

Here is the original google doc
https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2P ... ahEfpE/pub
Last edited by jayhova on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Narf the Mouse

Re: Mod Index and guide

Post by Narf the Mouse »

jayhova wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:10 am I was thinking it would be nice for newbies and users in general if we had an index of the current (semi-official) mods. Mods should be vaguely listed in order of popularity. Each listing should have a general description of the mod and its features. Each listing should have any current issues and incompatibilities.
That sounds more like we need unofficial modlists, complete with config instructions. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Perhaps it could be done as an article on the GitHub Wiki. That way all the mod devs can access it and add their own content. You could include an announcements section above the Released Mods forum with a link to the wiki.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Sounds good, gimme such a place and Id gladly fill in details of my mod, configs etc..
Currently, theres a ModDb section of DFU here https://www.moddb.com/mods/daggerfall-unity/addons
Its not very populated... I have not yet uploaded latest versions of the DREAM there, and not many ppl post the DFU mods there as well...

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:08 pm Sounds good, gimme such a place and Id gladly fill in details of my mod, configs etc..
You were the guy I had in mind to Hemi-Semi-Demi be in charge of such a project.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

The Released Mods forum is already a curated place where published mods are stored. Each mod has its own first post with a title, description with installation instructions and one or multiple images. As long as titles are descriptive of the actual content, i think this is enough for new users to find mods that interest them. ModDb will also be helpful to retrieve the most popular mods when more people will start to create them.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

DREAM took/takes all my free time, I cant spread it any further to more projects, and theres more reasons to it...

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

TheLacus wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:28 pm The Released Mods forum is already a curated place where published mods are stored. Each mod has its own first post with a title, description with installation instructions and one or multiple images. As long as titles are descriptive of the actual content, i think this is enough for new users to find mods that interest them. ModDb will also be helpful to retrieve the most popular mods when more people will start to create them.
True; this idea is more for the future. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

When I first started, I found it very difficult to look at a video of someone playing DFU with new and exciting features and then figure out which Mod I would have to install to make that happen. Going through the entire mods forum is very laborious. It does not seem so bad when you are keeping up with things on a regular basis. Anyway as a sort of experement I created a Google doc that publishes to another Google Doc. The formatting is ugly, but that is the nature of things.

If you would like to edit the doc, adding more mods information etc., just let me know and I'll send a link to the edit page.

Instructions for editing:
  • Copy the table at the bottom of the document.
  • Find the appropriate location for your mod. (Location is determined by numerical order of number of views a mod has in the forums)
  • Go to the bottom of the mod just above yours in the order and insert a page break [insert|Break|Page Break] or [ctrl+enter]
  • Paste that table in the correct position (the page you just made) in the document
  • Click on the table of contents at the bottom of the document and then click the button in the upper left-hand to refresh it
  • Copy the link to your mod and paste it in the correct position in the index at the top of the document

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I have reworked this a bit to make things function a bit better. Let's see how that goes. See the first post for a link to the live version of this.

If you are a mod developer with a mod in the released mods forum message me and I will link you to the the document.