Magic Items in the Thieves guild

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
comatosephoenix

Magic Items in the Thieves guild

Post by comatosephoenix »

One of the things that bugged me is that the rewards for climbing rank in the thieves guild or fighters guild were a bit underwhelming. The thieves guild in particular has pretty anemic rewards, a NPC that has accurate answers and random dungeon maps. wooo!

So one Idea I had was how the thieves guild might give a player access to powerful magic items. Instead of crafting the items directly, you ask the spymaster (or maybe a new npc) to find one for you. This will open up the crafting menu kinda like when crafting a magic item normally. but instead of just giving you the item, it starts a quest to find the item, either in the possession of another wandering adventurer, planted in a building or dungeon like other quest items, etc. I think that would be a good 'thematic' way to get a thief the enchanted item they are looking for.

This is kind of a moot discussion until magic item crafting gets implemented but I wanted to throw it out there for posterity

Narf the Mouse

Re: Magic Items in the Thieves guild

Post by Narf the Mouse »

First thought: I think it would be a bit odd to find exactly the item you're looking for, but perhaps finding a random magic item?
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Thief characters have it bad in dfall, period. Fighters and mages can open anything with the open spell, so there's nothing special about lockpicking. Houses have nothing but linens to steal, I don't think there's a single drawer with gold in it. Dungeons don't have treasure chests. Pickpocketing gets you chump change and is liable to get you arrested.

Thieves get the shaft in most RPGs, though. Devs just aren't willing to deprive other classes of loot. Baldur's Gate did it ok.

comatosephoenix

Post by comatosephoenix »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:40 am First thought: I think it would be a bit odd to find exactly the item you're looking for, but perhaps finding a random magic item?
Just a random magic item would kind of defeat the point since you can just get those from quests. But a random base item for the enchantment would be cool.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:48 am Thief characters have it bad in dfall, period. Fighters and mages can open anything with the open spell, so there's nothing special about lockpicking. Houses have nothing but linens to steal, I don't think there's a single drawer with gold in it. Dungeons don't have treasure chests. Pickpocketing gets you chump change and is liable to get you arrested.

Thieves get the shaft in most RPGs, though. Devs just aren't willing to deprive other classes of loot. Baldur's Gate did it ok.
Also magical, non-pickable locks, IIRC. Also we can mod it now. :) Also, steal everything in a shop and sell it back to the shopkeeper... but open spell. But you're still technically a thief! :P
comatosephoenix wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:54 pm
Narf the Mouse wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:40 am First thought: I think it would be a bit odd to find exactly the item you're looking for, but perhaps finding a random magic item?
Just a random magic item would kind of defeat the point since you can just get those from quests. But a random base item for the enchantment would be cool.
That, I think, would be cooler.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.