Draw Distance Visibility Weirdness

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
SamVision

Draw Distance Visibility Weirdness

Post by SamVision »

I am using the stable December build and the draw distance without mods behaves strangely. When it comes to large stretches, things look fine straight ahead what with the distance fog, but when I move the camera the fog disappears at the sides of the view. It looks incredibly awkward and I am wondering if this is how its currently supposed to look.

Nystul

Re: Draw Distance Visibility Weirdness

Post by Nystul »

this should be fixed in newer versions - fog implementation was improved

SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Okay now that I've finally managed to get the latest version running, this issue still persists.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Perhaps it's unrelated then. Could you provide some screenshots of how it looks?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm not sure if this is what SamVision is referring to, but the edges of display area will appear closer (less foggy) than the centre. Does that sound like what you're seeing?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I think what the OP is reffering to is that the view distance frontier is not radial.

So lets say there is a mountain peak in front of you, and it is 10m beyond your view distance - so you CANT see it.

Now u turn left by 45 degrees and now this mountain peak will be visible at the right side of your monitor.

I can just guess this has to do something with the linear plane in fron of you diciding what u see and what u dont. Its not radial.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I have noticed that fog tends to be white instead of reflecting the ambient light. This means on overcast days fog tends to present as a white band at the horizon. Since I have the ambient light at night turned down at night I get the same sort of band where mountains in the distance are brighter than features closer up.
Last edited by jayhova on Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

SamVision

Post by SamVision »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:39 am I think what the OP is reffering to is that the view distance frontier is not radial.

So lets say there is a mountain peak in front of you, and it is 10m beyond your view distance - so you CANT see it.

Now u turn left by 45 degrees and now this mountain peak will be visible at the right side of your monitor.

I can just guess this has to do something with the linear plane in fron of you diciding what u see and what u dont. Its not radial.
This exactly. I dont think its a bug or anything, but it is very distracting. Weirdly enough I dont see this happening in any of the videos I've seen.