Join the Necromancers?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
johnwax

Join the Necromancers?

Post by johnwax »

I've never received an invitation to join the Necromancers in classic. UESP does not list them as a faction or even a periferal like the witch covens or vampire clans. I have, however, was just handed an invitation in DFU (0.7.36). Is this new or just something I've missed until now? Anywhere I can find more info about them as a group? (Trying to decide if I want to join or not) Also something odd - there is no time limit on my decision to join - if I want in I just meet them at a given location at some indefinite time.

Hazelnut

Re: Join the Necromancers?

Post by Hazelnut »

Are you running any mods? Can you post the text of the invitation please?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm sorry, your computer is haunted. I recommend burning it with fire :(

Barring that, does your invitation look like this?

Code: Select all

%qdt
  %pcn
<ce>
    One of our kind has spoken to us concerning your conversation.
Your actions come as a pleasant surprise, and we intend to show
that fairness and justice which well characterizes us.
<ce>
    Writing on behalf of the Necromancers, I invite you to meet
in person. I must judge your character. Should you be proven
worthy, we will send you forth to aid us in various sundry tasks.
This may seem an odd invitation if your memory is short, but
we well remember that your acts generally have not been charitable
toward us. If you will gather the good will of the Necromancers,
it will be by blood and sweat, not tender fireside discussion.
<ce>
    Consider the greatness of the opportunity I extend to you.
Meet me in ___nhome_, at _nhome_. I will
render judgment and decide if you are worthy to earn our trust.
Do not tarry more than =2nhome_ days.
<ce>
                A Benefactor
If so, it's the quest pack. The Necromancers are a dead-end for now so there isn't anything to do.

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:27 pm Are you running any mods? Can you post the text of the invitation please?
I am running enhanced sky, convenient clock (isn't everybody?), and distant terrain. The text is:

Khajit in Daggerfall
We greet you in the name of the King of Worms. We take up on ourselves the title of Necromancers. Partakers of undying power. We have need of a servant capable of moving about in the civilized world undetected. If you wish to know power beyond that found on this mortal coil, turn to the Hearthhart Graveyard and wait for our message there.

My PC is a Klhajit. Would you like me to do this and see what happens? This is interesting because from the responses this is not something that happens normally.

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

In response to JayH - I dfid do a ID the Necromancer quest from the Mages Guild, in which I had to profess an interest in Necromancy, but i never received a followulp message like the one you posted.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yep, that's from the Perpetual Quest pack. It's a different quest than the one I mentioned above.

Code: Select all

%ra of ____graveyard_:

We greet you in the name of the King of Worms.
 We take upon ourselves the title of the Necromancers,
 partakers of undying power. We have need of a servant
 capable of moving about the civilized world undetected.
 If you wish to know power beyond that found on this
 mortal coil, turn to __graveyard_ and wait
 for our message there.
johnwax wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:44 am In response to JayH - I dfid do a ID the Necromancer quest from the Mages Guild, in which I had to profess an interest in Necromancy, but i never received a followulp message like the one you posted.
Ah, interesting. There's a way to get a Necromancer invitation through that quest but you really have to think about it :) In either case it's more of an "invitation" since there's no content after it. In each of these cases it's just the one quest and it ends there.

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

Darn! And here I thought it was something new :( I'm going to do it and see if the green invite letter goes away.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It'll also go away after a few weeks. That's a period I can reduce also, since I know those quest items can start to clog your inventory.

EDIT: I've updated the quest so it disables in 15 days if you do nothing, and also removes the note if you go to the graveyard.

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

One final note on this. I assume this is one of the random quests
Spoiler!
, Went to the graveyard - met a ghost who joined me and told me to go to a town, find a mage and take some papers - arrived at the town gate and the ghost said to look around, the mage was near - sure was! Found her standing just outside the gate - couldn't talk to her, so hacked her and tooki the papers - ghost said to go to a village and see someone there - found the contact (looked like the KOW) and gave him the papers - was praised, given some gold and had the ghost removed. That's it! I assume there will be no more contacts.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yep, that's the sum of it. I haven't come up with any content good enough to match that, so I've left it alone. One day, though!

There's also no formally organized Necromancer guild mod, so it'd just be a quest line. After the neglect I've shown the Archaeologists, I'm in no hurry to draw up another guild :geek: