Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Post by King of Worms »

Really nice man!

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

That is the perfect amount of awesome for a Sunday...
Check out my YouTube Channel!

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

VMBlast: *creates high resolution assets for Daggerfall Unity then hard drive crashes*
VMBlast: "Oh well. Guess I'll just remake Daggerfall from scratch, then."

Seriously, lookin' good!

pango

Post by pango »

Yes please :)
Looks gorgeous...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

MasonFace wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:42 pm .

VMBlast: *creates high resolution assets for Daggerfall Unity then hard drive crashes*
VMBlast: "Oh well. Guess I'll just remake Daggerfall from scratch, then."

Seriously, lookin' good!
Hahahahaha! :lol:

Actually that was spot on. All my painted and 3D assets (originals) that I did for the DFU ---PUF gone... :(

Im still not too keen doing the realistic approach, like what Ive done in this research video. I want to do stylized painted aesthetics, but that is much harder it seems. Not because of that you need to paint all your textures, but because I want to do a lot of unusual stunts with the shaders and other FX. It is actually quite ease to do realistic stuff in Unity, simply because it is set up this way right out of the box. What I want (envisioned) needs some serous shader programming so that stylized look could be pulled out correctly (like what you would see on the oil paintings). Shaders needs to have at least three different texture distance dissolve points, as well secondary UV sets for the detail textures (normal and albedo). :P

Alyndiar

Post by Alyndiar »

VMblast wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:10 pm I want to do stylized painted aesthetics, but that is much harder it seems. Not because of that you need to paint all your textures, but because I want to do a lot of unusual stunts with the shaders and other FX. It is actually quite ease to do realistic stuff in Unity, simply because it is set up this way right out of the box. What I want (envisioned) needs some serous shader programming so that stylized look could be pulled out correctly (like what you would see on the oil paintings).
I guess something like what this game does?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/7355 ... es_Retold/

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Alyndiar wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:37 am I guess something like what this game does?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/7355 ... es_Retold/
Hmm, not like that. I mean its neat effect for the story Ardman wanted to present. They used overall oil brush screen effect, however what I had in mind is -painted in- effect (in textures and models alone).

My goal is to create LOD -layering effect-, closest things to the camera would have more details in (using detail maps and secondary UV sets), but the further you go it desolves gradually into just painted textures and models at the farthest point became more rustic so to say. Thus everything altogether giving the illusion of the plane (view) progression and keeping what is closest to the player (and important), more detailed.

While oil painting overall FX is quite interesting, you cant play that for hours, since we are talking about RPG game, you're eyes will get tired fairly quickly looking at that. You have to give them focus. But the natural, layered, one.

The painting effect transfer inspirations (as well look and feel)

//---------------------------------

//---------------------------------

And considering more visual explanation, here take a look at this. Model/texture setup similar to this, just not this much cartoony -imagine the painting styles from the images above on the model. This would be like an mid-close LOD distance layer.
https://sketchfab.com/models/6de6285caa ... 427bd58c83

This would be the far distance LOD layer (texture and model vise).
[https://sketchfab.com/models/ed5660f12f ... 3a7afd038d

These would be the closest LOD layer modeling approach (just with painted in textures instead of this photogrametry ones) (the soft organic modeling)
https://sketchfab.com/models/ae2b6de1cc ... aed6b2b212
https://sketchfab.com/models/780724b9eb ... ef=related

Lol I hope this makes any sense.....aside in my own mind. :lol:

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Something like this.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Hmmmmm......

Was testing some of the DF models (house) enhancements. To see how much can I push it. It is still modest modeling work, with original textures.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

The power of the PBR and new 2018.3 Unity is really awesome. The model of the house is really basic one, just one step from the original DF house mesh and it makes it looks really great. :)