Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
pango

Re: Tedious Travel 0.3.0

Post by pango »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:54 pm I'm not sure where to put this, but I found a dungeon (The Citadel of Yoemcraft) while tedious travelling, and it's not marked on my map.
Just to be clear, you mean finding the dungeon didn't mark its location on the map?
Did you stop by the dungeon when you noticed it wasn't marked on the map, or only crossed it while tedious traveling?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

pango wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:50 am
Narf the Mouse wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:54 pm I'm not sure where to put this, but I found a dungeon (The Citadel of Yoemcraft) while tedious travelling, and it's not marked on my map.
Just to be clear, you mean finding the dungeon didn't mark its location on the map?
Did you stop by the dungeon when you noticed it wasn't marked on the map, or only crossed it while tedious traveling?
I noticed I'd passed a dungeon, stopped just at the treeline (x25 speedup), went back to the dungeon (saw the flavour text), found the dungeon entrance, popped in, exited, left past the treeline, returned (saw the flavour text). Still wasn't marked on my map.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Huh... that's what you get when you have game logic in the UI, I guess... To my knowledge I didn't touch the code that influences that, but I'll have to take a look if I messed something up somehow. Might be a while until I get around to it.

One question, though: Have you tried the same steps with tedious travel off? I'm asking because this occurence would be excessively rare in vanilla, rare enough that maybe nobody noticed that it doesn't work there too.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

jedidia wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:34 am Huh, that seems strange... The map loads the same resource as the default map, so if that resource is replaced, I don't quite see why it wouldn't work. Will have to take a look at it.
The only thing this mod does to the map is the port button, that's why I think it's the port thing.
it still works though, the map just doesn't show up.
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It's definitely possible that manual discovery of dungeon exteriors isn't working properly (even without tedious travel). I've made a note to check this when I can.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Thanks, all. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

The only thing this mod does to the map is the port button, that's why I think it's the port thing.
That one is overlaid dynamically, it shouldn't affect the resource used. The problem must lie somewhere else. I think I'll hold off on this until there's a released mod using the new map resources, though, might spare me the trouble of doing things twice.
It's definitely possible that manual discovery of dungeon exteriors isn't working properly (even without tedious travel). I've made a note to check this when I can.
Thanks a lot!

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:53 pm It's definitely possible that manual discovery of dungeon exteriors isn't working properly (even without tedious travel). I've made a note to check this when I can.
I just tested and it did work properly for me. It's handled in PlayerGPS::PlayerLocationRectCheck() - the player needs to get within the location rect to trigger the discovery (I always thought just getting within the map pixel would do it). It doesn't trigger the flavor text that the player should see however, so that does need to be fixed.

edit: Looks like I read it backwards, I think it checks to make sure the player isn't inside the location rect but is inside the map pixel

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I was going 25x speed, so it sounds like some sort of collision/bounds checking error.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Really immersive mod!

Sometimes, though, I'd prefer to decide if I want to use traditional fast travel or tedious travel. Because sometimes, well, it indeed feels tedious to need to wait for many minutes until I arrive and look at the repetitive landscapes. Even with time compression at high values, longer travels can take a lot of real time.

So I'd like a question like "Do you want to hurry (Y/N)?" and if I select "yes" the traditional system is used whereas "no" invokes tedious travel as it works now.