[MOD] Real Grass 2

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
TheLacus

Re: [MOD] Real Grass 2

Post by TheLacus »

johnwax wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:44 am To TheLocus (with thanks to Pongo for the zip suggestion) - I am attaching a zip of output_log.txt for my most recent try at loading Real Grass 2.31.. I selected an outside save and tried to load with the resulting crash.. Please take a look and thanks.
The log confirms memory allocation is the issue.

A quick technical note: this mod uses detail layers with resolution 256x256 that holds the density for each terrain "pixel" (int[,]). There is one of them for every detail mesh: grass, flowers, stones, water plants etc. Depending on what you choose in mod settings, you can use from a minimum of one (the grass) to up to 9 layers. All of this is to be multiplied for the n terrains you see in game.

In practice this is what i can suggest you:
* Disable all optional features and keep only grass.
* Toggle off "Realistic grass" option to disable textures by VMblast (right now i setup three layers for one base + two random textures per terrain) and fallback to Uncanny_Valley textures (only one layer per terrain).

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

Thanks Locus, that did the trick! Turned off everything except grass and set detail distance to 99 (no realistic grass) and now I have lots of short grass - which is better than a flat green surface! Thanks again.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

VMblast wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:53 pm
TheLacus wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:33 pm
VMblast wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:21 pm Great job! ;)

Tho I have just one comment that needs addressing. Please keep textures in the original aspect ratio, as well scale (scale between all the grass plants).
Hey VMblast, thank you for your comments, i'll make use of them!
It's to note that grass size changes during the in-game year: max size is for summer, while it grows from a minimum size (and density) from winter-spring and then go back to it for fall-winter. I'm going to try to keep this behaviour while using the correct width-height ratio you pointed out for individual textures. :)
Hey thats awesome feature. I didnt know that you've made grass that grows. Really great work!! :)

Yeah, than its just about aspect ratio, just keep an eye on that. Thanks. ;)

PS -oh just noticed one thing in the mod (ingame). It looks like you've made a main featured grass plant this one:

But Ive made this grass to be just like an addition that is sprinkled in, to bring up the variety in grass. The main grass texture should be this one (for the fields):

Unfortunatelly there isnt much more variety in my textures except these 8 pieces. In ideal situations there should be withered grass, dry grass, shrubs...etc :P
Thank you for your notes VMblast, i'm working on it.
I reworked grass density and disposition to have a base layer of two textures: main grass and one of the two small tufts chosen randomly:

Then there is an occasional placement of tall flowers/grass with density based on current season. This is how it looks in summer:

A question for all: is anybody using the option to enable billboard grass instead of 3d grass? otherwise i will remove it to simplify things...

pango

Post by pango »

Hi The Lacus,
TheLacus wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:45 pm A question for all: is anybody using the option to enable billboard grass instead of 3d grass? otherwise i will remove it to simplify things...
With my graphic card (GTX960), billboards are roughly 5 fps faster than equivalent settings with meshes,
Since I'm struggling to keep the fps good, billboard grass was a tradeof I often used.
I can probably recover those with other tradeofs...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Just something I noticed: If I set grass height to anything higher than 1, the grass becomes extremly high. The default settings have a min/max height of 65 (which is extremly high) -- I struggled a few days with that before I simply tried what happens when I change min/max height to 1. Then the grass looks good.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

haloterm wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:50 am Just something I noticed: If I set grass height to anything higher than 1, the grass becomes extremly high. The default settings have a min/max height of 65 (which is extremly high) -- I struggled a few days with that before I simply tried what happens when I change min/max height to 1. Then the grass looks good.
A screenshot would probably help here. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

TheLacus wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:45 pm Thank you for your notes VMblast, i'm working on it.
I reworked grass density and disposition to have a base layer of two textures: main grass and one of the two small tufts chosen randomly:
Awesom job, thank you. :D The only thing that is poking my eyes is somewhat my responsibility -colors dont match, I would have to tone them down a bit so they would better blend in with the DF texture sets.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:52 am
haloterm wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:50 am Just something I noticed: If I set grass height to anything higher than 1, the grass becomes extremly high. The default settings have a min/max height of 65 (which is extremly high) -- I struggled a few days with that before I simply tried what happens when I change min/max height to 1. Then the grass looks good.
Here you are:

First, I tried with the third of the included preset, which sets Grass Height to 65 and 105, and Grass Width to 8 and 1. This gave me this:

preset-3-result.jpg
preset-3-result.jpg (64.79 KiB) Viewed 4167 times

I tested the other presets, too, but I noticed that I have to set height to 1 and 1 to get proper results. The following settings DO work for me:

1-1-set.jpg
1-1-set.jpg (158.9 KiB) Viewed 4167 times
1-1-result.jpg
1-1-result.jpg (75.95 KiB) Viewed 4167 times

I just wonder if this is intended, or if the higher values used in the preset should give me a different result. (I'm on Linux, using the latest official pre-alpha from January).

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I don't maintain the mod, but that is definitely not intended. Something has gone very weird there...

The grass preset gets me grass about a foot high on Windows.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

pango wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:42 pm Hi The Lacus,
TheLacus wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:45 pm A question for all: is anybody using the option to enable billboard grass instead of 3d grass? otherwise i will remove it to simplify things...
With my graphic card (GTX960), billboards are roughly 5 fps faster than equivalent settings with meshes,
Since I'm struggling to keep the fps good, billboard grass was a tradeof I often used.
I can probably recover those with other tradeofs...
If it's really helpful to maintain performance i will keep it. I think 3d grass with lower density would give the same result on fps, but this is a probably a matter of personal preference.
haloterm wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:30 pm
Narf the Mouse wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:52 am
Here you are:

First, I tried with the third of the included preset, which sets Grass Height to 65 and 105, and Grass Width to 8 and 1. This gave me this:

preset-3-result.jpg

I tested the other presets, too, but I noticed that I have to set height to 1 and 1 to get proper results. The following settings DO work for me:

1-1-set.jpg
1-1-result.jpg

I just wonder if this is intended, or if the higher values used in the preset should give me a different result. (I'm on Linux, using the latest official pre-alpha from January).
Should be 0.65, not 65. Please try to reset settings with the reset button and check again if you get the dot. Does anybody else have this issue on Linux?