Tree replace Speedtree model

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Cristalnoir

Tree replace Speedtree model

Post by Cristalnoir »

Hello everyone.

Description
The purpose of this mod is to replace 2D trees from Daggerfall in 3D model speedtree.
All the models were made under Speedtree, the models are optimized, LOD included as well as the "culled". The polygons have been calculated to be the least greedy possible resource.
The foliage moves under the effect of the wind.

Technical
A lot of optimization work has been done:
Realistic model?
Model "low poly"?
Because the Daggerfall engine was archaic, photo-realistic trees were risky, yet the test was done, boosted by the Unity engine, for the ultimate:
question: What is a tree for a game?
answer: To eat up the resources
Especially since it does not match the mood of the game.

So low poly models? It's really angular and, frankly, it's ugly.

This is how I chose to opt for Billboard trees in the way of Oblivion. 3d models but with flat foliage. This allows for a correct rendering, while having less consumed resources.

Important
I really want to keep the original style of the game. The same colors, the same style of tree, and especially not fantasy. That's why the textures used are not photo-realistic.
8-) Windows MacOS Linux 8-)

This is a mod in development and of course, bugs can appear.
Spoiler!
504_16
504_25
506_13
>504_13
>510_13
506_16
507_2
recommended and compatible mod
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=532

DOWNLOAD: V19/02/19
https://mega.nz/#!jH4lhahK!ztVq621rhrsF ... ZsFeYSgMgo
Attachments
506_13.jpg
506_13.jpg (148.47 KiB) Viewed 5654 times
504_25.jpg
504_25.jpg (214.72 KiB) Viewed 5654 times
504_16.jpg
504_16.jpg (247.07 KiB) Viewed 5654 times
Last edited by Cristalnoir on Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Cristalnoir studio

King of Worms

Re: Tree replace Speedtree model

Post by King of Worms »

This is very promising, I waited for someone to try this!

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

@Cristalnoir
Hahaha, man were you in my mind today lol :lol: After finishing DF Map, I was thinking of thackeling that -little thing. Regardless to say it is a monumental task. Just for the temperate woodland Ive counted 10 trees (aside all other details like hollow logs, old trees, rocks etc / winter edition). For each of those ten trees it is necessary to paint bark and leaf maps, so everything would fit in the style of the DF. Im doing the extensive tests atm regarding all that functionality. :P

Cristalnoir

Post by Cristalnoir »

yes, it is a colossal job. I love medieval architecture and nature when it comes to 3D modilization, so I do what I like. It remains a pleasure above all.
I still admit to hesitate to make ultra realistic trees to put their eyes, but in my tests, the framerate falls.
If each person adds a touch of renewal on DFU, the game will be monumental in a few years. :D :D
Cristalnoir studio

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I like this idea. Something about the current trees seems a little...flat.

:D
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

That would be a great addition, if finished. Tried the preliminary download but got pink trees everywhere. Probably because I'm on Linux, and so far only a Windows build is included?

Cristalnoir

Post by Cristalnoir »

yes my unity refuses exported for Mac and linux, I do not know why, I'll see that later.
Cristalnoir studio

pango

Post by pango »

Cristalnoir wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:49 pm I still admit to hesitate to make ultra realistic trees to put their eyes, but in my tests, the framerate falls.
Maybe some LOD mechanisms/resources are missing, so that less detailed models are use for distant trees?
Maybe even billboards for very far ones ;)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Cristalnoir

Post by Cristalnoir »

As stated in the initial post, the trees are optimized. They are modeled with 1500/3500 polygons.
they exist 3 levels of "LOD":
the first being the closest to the sight
the second, the polygons are divided by 2 at a short distance.
and finally the far billboard.
Cristalnoir studio

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Cristalnoir wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:49 pm I still admit to hesitate to make ultra realistic trees to put their eyes, but in my tests, the framerate falls.
Yes, this is something that needs to be wary about. The LOD distances have to be tweaked so that the Billboard LOD distance would be quite high -above 21% and LOD1 should be about 82%. This way the highest lod is fairly close to the camera.