Optional Sneak Toggle

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
ACNAero

Optional Sneak Toggle

Post by ACNAero »

Says it in the title. Just wondering if it's a QOL option that can possibly be implemented, since I find it uncomfortable to hold down the sneak button for long periods of time while going through a dungeon. I know the optional options are probably starting to get out of control, but I figure there's no harm in asking :lol:

Narf the Mouse

Re: Optional Sneak Toggle

Post by Narf the Mouse »

There's no sneak button that you need to hold down. Crouch is just crouch; tapping F1 puts you into sneak/pickpocket mode.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Actually there is. On my machine it's left alt :D I never knew about it until today.

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:26 pm Actually there is. On my machine it's left alt :D I never knew about it until today.
^ This, Narf. Tbh, I thought F1 was just a pickpocket/lockpick mode, not a sneak mode. I know crouch isn't sneak in this game, so I've been using left alt. As far as I know, F1 doesn't slow you down like left alt sneak hold does. I'll go try it out quickly, though, possible I missed it.

Edit: yeah, F1 doesn't slow you down like left-alt sneak mode does. And even in F1 steal mode, you can still sprint everywhere if you want.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:26 pm Actually there is. On my machine it's left alt :D I never knew about it until today.
...Well, ok.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Is this in fact the case? Is there a HUD indicator? Tell me more.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I had to look in the Controls section, and I see it in the bottom-right there. You move at a slow speed while doing so (less than walking, it seems), but nothing shows up on the HUD for me. I haven't tried it in classic, only DFU.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:48 pm I had to look in the Controls section, and I see it in the bottom-right there. You move at a slow speed while doing so (less than walking, it seems), but nothing shows up on the HUD for me. I haven't tried it in classic, only DFU.
Well I have to agree with the thread that there needs to be a sneak toggle and an indicator that you are sneaking.
negative-s010-512.png
negative-s010-512.png (18.29 KiB) Viewed 3905 times

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Yes, please! I requested this (along with several other QOL UI/controls improvements, including a run toggle) some time ago here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1042

That topic also suggests an option to do away with the clunky and unintuitive "interaction modes" (as mentioned earlier in this topic) in favor of a modern left-click/right-click/sneak scheme. Anyway, can't wait for usability enhancements like this post-1.0 to finally bring classic Daggerfall in line with 21st century UI and control standards.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I can't for the life of me find the sneak button in the controls. I saw it clearly in classic. I have the DREAM mod installed would that keep me from seeing the sneak control?

In any case I agree with the idea of a clear indication you are sneaking and possibly a toggle (see above for sneak icon). For pickpocketing there really does need to be and indicator that you are about to do something risky/illegal. Perhaps placing a red outline around the cursor as in openMW. It's way to easy to come out of a dungeon where you wanted to pick the locks on any locked doors and travel to a city and go to ask directions and bam! Here come the guards. It occurs to me that when you are in or near a city there could be a red line around the sleep button(s) to indicate it's illegal.