Mod Suggestion : Visual Secret Doors

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Paulimposteur

Mod Suggestion : Visual Secret Doors

Post by Paulimposteur »

Hey guys, I have a huge issue with finding such doors in the game, even when using the map. I've never been savvy and with the hi-res mods it feels even harder to notice them.

I was wondering if secret doors could have a modified mesh/texture to clue them a bit? Such as scratches along the ground near the 'fake' wall to indicate that somehow it may have opened. I think it'd be a really cool addition and would keep it skill based spotting the clues, rather than luck or cheesing the map!

Narf the Mouse

Re: Mod Suggestion : Visual Secret Doors

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Paulimposteur wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:49 pm Hey guys, I have a huge issue with finding such doors in the game, even when using the map. I've never been savvy and with the hi-res mods it feels even harder to notice them.

I was wondering if secret doors could have a modified mesh/texture to clue them a bit? Such as scratches along the ground near the 'fake' wall to indicate that somehow it may have opened. I think it'd be a really cool addition and would keep it skill based spotting the clues, rather than luck or cheesing the map!
Some of them do look different, but yeah, some of them just blend right in with the exact same wall texture.

I'd prefer for all of them to have some subtle signs so that I don't have to cheese with the map.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

Perhaps a detect door spell would also be useful for this, as well as modifying the secret doors textures to subtly differentiate them from the wall textures

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

A secret door should have more wear, and less moss and dust.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Feralwarlord wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:35 pm Perhaps a detect door spell would also be useful for this, as well as modifying the secret doors textures to subtly differentiate them from the wall textures
I was thinking a glow for secret doors. This would be a very logical new spell. I was also thinking that secret doors should not appear on the map until you passed quite near them. Perhaps a message should pop up "You spot a secret door"
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

jayhova wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:21 pm Perhaps a message should pop up "You spot a secret door"
To be clear, even if nothing else gets done, having a message like "You feel somewhat like you found a secret door" would be cool just to keep you from missing it.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

"You feel a draft.", I think.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:33 am "You feel a draft.", I think.
Dungeons are not very drafty given that they are underground. I think it more likely you would spot the door before feeling a breeze through it.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

jayhova wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:00 pm
Narf the Mouse wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:33 am "You feel a draft.", I think.
Dungeons are not very drafty given that they are underground. I think it more likely you would spot the door before feeling a breeze through it.
Well, that's the dragon on the other side. :D

But good point. :P

Ravenborn

Post by Ravenborn »

I think some situational flavor text would work for this as well, maybe stat or class based.
(Eye of the Beholder used to do this, if you had a ranger or an elf in your party and came across something "out of the ordinary" the character had a chance to mention it. One of my favorite features of the game.)
You could think of it as a "Passive Perception", like the one featured in DnD.