Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Midknightprince

Re: Tedious Travel 0.3.0

Post by Midknightprince »

This still works for me on the current dev build, just a heads up :D
Check out my YouTube Channel!

pango

Post by pango »

By the way, this mod is heavily highlighted during IndigoGaming Live #1
Thanks to the recent terrain generation optimizations and powerful hardware he could crank speed up to 100x at times (but not always; He fell off map a few times, maybe because of snow slowing down rendering?)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Is it possible to disable tedious travel in game. Given that tedious travel is like a form of fast travel with a max speed of 100x wouldn't it make sense to be able to skip fast travel if it just isn't that fun? Essentially a max speed of
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Oh wow, I didn't expect any publicity for this... :?
Is it possible to disable tedious travel in game. Given that tedious travel is like a form of fast travel with a max speed of 100x wouldn't it make sense to be able to skip fast travel if it just isn't that fun? Essentially a max speed of ∞
At which point I don't quite see why you'd be using it at all...
The thing is, it wouldn't actually be as simple as you imagine. That, and my time has become heavily limited as of late, and it will stay that way for quite some time, so this is very much out of scope.

The thing is open source though, so if anybody wants that functionality badly enough to submit a pull request, I'll be happy to merge it in. Apart from that I won't be developing the mod much further at this point in time, other than fixes for breaking updates of DFU or fixing critical bugs that may crop up. I wanted to do a lot more with it when I wrote it initially, but now see myself forced to divert almost all my spare resources to another project that I hope will smooth out my professional future a bit.

There's that thing with the hi-res map not showing up that I would still like to address at some point, though. Has any mod been released that uses those resources by now?

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

jedidia wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:36 am
Oh wow, I didn't expect any publicity for this... :?
Is it possible to disable tedious travel in game. Given that tedious travel is like a form of fast travel with a max speed of 100x wouldn't it make sense to be able to skip fast travel if it just isn't that fun? Essentially a max speed of ∞
At which point I don't quite see why you'd be using it at all...
The thing is, it wouldn't actually be as simple as you imagine.
I'm sure that is the case. I was thinking of just a button that would toggle the mod off for the most part (with the exception of maybe random encounters). As to why, one of the comments in IndigoGaming Live was that you could not turn tedious travel off without restarting the game. A button you could click and have the travel mode switch from tedious to classic would fix that. I could very much see someone who might enjoy short hops using TT but would like to use classic for long trips.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

with the exception of maybe random encounters
Here's the thing... I didn't program random encounter. THey're a daggerfall feature that went completely unnoticed because nobody ever trodded around the landscape long enough to have them. The only thing TT does is move you over the landscape and speed up the game (that, plus the ship travel mechanics I've added).
I could very much see someone who might enjoy short hops using TT but would like to use classic for long trips.
Well, it's in the name! I couldn't possibly be more upfront about what this thing is! :lol:
And it's *designed* to be this way. It was the intention. it's about more than just looking at the scenery. It's about managing your stamina and planning your trips. Not world-hopping villy-nilly all over the place, but engage the region you're in in a more meaningful way. About stopping at ins to have organic encounters or risking to rest in the wild. In my opinion, the mod would be mostly pointless if it could be turned off without restarting the game.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

jedidia wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:29 pm
Here's the thing... I didn't program random encounter. THey're a daggerfall feature that went completely unnoticed because nobody ever trodded around the landscape long enough to have them. The only thing TT does is move you over the landscape and speed up the game (that, plus the ship travel mechanics I've added).
Well I knew. I would jam toothpicks into the keyboard and go have dinner or something. Now that was very tedious travel. You could just disable all forms of fast travel and call that mod VTT or STT. :-)

Needless to say I very much knew about the random encounters since my PC would just keep running past them until he collapsed and then would get up and start running again.
Well, it's in the name! I couldn't possibly be more upfront about what this thing is! :lol:
And it's *designed* to be this way. It was the intention. it's about more than just looking at the scenery. It's about managing your stamina and planning your trips. Not world-hopping villy-nilly all over the place, but engage the region you're in in a more meaningful way. About stopping at ins to have organic encounters or risking to rest in the wild. In my opinion, the mod would be mostly pointless if it could be turned off without restarting the game.
I like that idea. However, I don't like it to the exclusion of fast travel. For me it's a question of game play choices. Do I want to watch scenery fly by as I move from place to place? Maybe. Or maybe not. But I would prefer the choice. The mod itself allows a varying level of tediousness. I am merely suggesting that that level be allowed to be zero. I might want to walk around in a huge dungeon for an hour. That's pretty damn tedious. But I might not want to spend half an hour getting there. In theory I can pass on dungeon crawl quests and do town quests exclusively. or do some town quests and then do a dungeon crawl.

I totally get the idea of the mod forcing you to play a certain way but really all you are doing is creating a situation where someone would have to stop playing and reload in order to change how fast travel works.

I would like to have 3 options (4 if you count teleporting). Fast travel, Tedious travel, and normal travel. Right now, I can only have two at a time.

P.S. Midknight Prince is hardcore TT and would never use classic fast travel for any reason. I think he has his own build that has had fast travel completely removed just so he will never be tempted :-)

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

but really all you are doing is creating a situation where someone would have to stop playing and reload in order to change how fast travel works.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing! :D For the same reasons that roguelikes force you to quit the game and copy your savefile if you want multiple save slots. It's by design.

My goal for the mod was *not* a visual mod (i,e, seeing scenery flying by while traveling), my goal was explicitly to change the gameplay experience (whether you consider it an improvement or not depends on the player, but that's what mods are for... they offer you choice by default). I'm not opposed to daggerfalls fast travel because I think it's visually unengaging, but because I think it creates an unengaging experience overall. That is what I wanted to change. The autopilot with time acceleration was merely the most simple way I saw to change that. I had a fallback plan to do a slow map travel mode that would emulate endurance loss and stuff and would see your crosshair moving slowly over the map in case the first idea didn't pan out. Enjoying the scenery is a pure side effect of the implementation I chose to achieve my actual goals.

As such, me putting in a couple of hours of work which I currently really don't have to defy the very purpose I built the mod for and reducing it to a mere sideeffect that people happen to enjoy is just simply not an option.

I don't want to be dogmatic about this, though. I get what you mean. I'm just saying that what you want from the mod is never what I intended for it, and as such you might have to put in some work to make it happen. As I said, if somebody else puts it in, I'll merge it. If somebody forks it and makes his own version, I have no objections whatsoever.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

These things are dogmatic. Game design is dogmatic because you have a vision of how things should be and you want others to be involved in that vision. Hey that's okay. I like the idea of tedious travel. I'm just not religiously attached to it. I definitely understand that you are and why you are. Like most mods it's your way of saying 'This is how I would have made Daggerfall, it's better this way". Heck why would you even put in the time if you didn't think you were making the game better. Well you have made the game better for a lot of people. But for me I would like the option of TT or classic as fits my mood. If I get the idea of a quest and I want to jump right into it then...

I am certainly not against those who want to TT all the time. But for me it would be cool to have a TT option on the existing travel screen. Perhaps there could be a configuration for hardcore (only allow tedious travel) mode that works as it does now. Heck you could even let hardcore mode, limit the TT speed.

The one thing I totally forgot in the 'why' last time is for purposes of bug prevention. Since, under circumstances, TT will cause the game to fail (forcing a reload), it seems like a good idea to allow the player to opt out.

I think this is a great mod. The only reason I don't have it installed is I only occasionally get the urge to travel the landscape and when I do, it's generally in real time.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

I definitely understand that you are and why you are.
"Religiously attached" is taking a bit far! :lol:
If it was that severe, I would completely reject the idea of this option ever being part of the mod. As it stands, I'm only rejecting the idea of me investing time to put it in ;)