Night guards (suggested mod)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
jayhova

Night guards (suggested mod)

Post by jayhova »

I was thinking that instead of having streets deserted at night there ought to be guards patrolling the streets. If the PC goes on a midnight shopping spree there should be more guards. Guards should attack any monsters that come into town.

This came to mind because currently if you are in a house and try to sleep you get a message telling you that you haven't rented a room there. I was thinking why not? As long as nobody catches you. That's the rub. If no one is in the house and you try to sleep there who's to know. If you've bashed in the door the guards are likely to eventually see. If you picked the lock and no one noticed well okay. But what is someone comes home? Wouldn't it be a good idea to find a house for sale. No one lives there. Did you just kill all the rats infesting that house? Take a nap after. No one is coming home til you give the all clear.

This comes from the idea I had back when classic came out that the guards were a bit heavy handed with vagrancy. Do they have magic vagrancy detectors? Why on earth if you sleep next to a farm in the middle of nowhere does a guard show up in the middle of the night to arrest you for vagrancy? What if you are where they can't see you? Guards don't give up if they don't see you because they seem to magically know where you are. Sleeping on top of the fighters guild. Who ratted me out?
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Kamer

Re: Night guards (suggested mod)

Post by Kamer »

With Warm Ashes newer versions supporting Wilderness encounters, it would be very nice for Guards to attack hostile foes. (Which they 100% did in vanilla if they came in contact with them.) The only exception for the night guard idea, which I think is great, is Daggerfall itself. At least until the threat of the spirits are dealt with. That way Daggerfall itself will feel more ominous and bodies don't pile up overnight.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Kamer wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:12 pm With Warm Ashes newer versions supporting Wilderness encounters, it would be very nice for Guards to attack hostile foes. (Which they 100% did in vanilla if they came in contact with them.) The only exception for the night guard idea, which I think is great, is Daggerfall itself. At least until the threat of the spirits are dealt with. That way Daggerfall itself will feel more ominous and bodies don't pile up overnight.
That's the rub, the guards can't do anything in Daggerfall. At night it's a crime free for all, if you can get past the undead. I was thinking for enhanced vagrancy there should be a raycast from all the possible witnesses and then calculate if they will rat you out. Same for the guards. For really small towns it's unlikely that anyone will care. If your witness is someone you are in a guild with likely they will look the other way
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

jayhova wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:34 am I was thinking that instead of having streets deserted at night there ought to be guards patrolling the streets. If the PC goes on a midnight shopping spree there should be more guards. Guards should attack any monsters that come into town.

This came to mind because currently if you are in a house and try to sleep you get a message telling you that you haven't rented a room there. I was thinking why not? As long as nobody catches you. That's the rub. If no one is in the house and you try to sleep there who's to know. If you've bashed in the door the guards are likely to eventually see. If you picked the lock and no one noticed well okay. But what is someone comes home? Wouldn't it be a good idea to find a house for sale. No one lives there. Did you just kill all the rats infesting that house? Take a nap after. No one is coming home til you give the all clear.

This comes from the idea I had back when classic came out that the guards were a bit heavy handed with vagrancy. Do they have magic vagrancy detectors? Why on earth if you sleep next to a farm in the middle of nowhere does a guard show up in the middle of the night to arrest you for vagrancy? What if you are where they can't see you? Guards don't give up if they don't see you because they seem to magically know where you are. Sleeping on top of the fighters guild. Who ratted me out?
jayhova wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:46 am That's the rub, the guards can't do anything in Daggerfall. At night it's a crime free for all, if you can get past the undead. I was thinking for enhanced vagrancy there should be a raycast from all the possible witnesses and then calculate if they will rat you out. Same for the guards. For really small towns it's unlikely that anyone will care. If your witness is someone you are in a guild with likely they will look the other way
I completely agree. Bigger settlements should definitely have night patrols, guards on duty, but smaller settlements might not or only sometimes.
A further possibility would be to simulate the outside world even while the PC is resting. That way it could be realistically determined who in fact witnessed the act of vagrancy and whether they would do anything about it or look the other way could be determined like jayhova suggests.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Anybody looking to take this up? It'll help balance out the thievery side of things. :D