Glossary

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
jayhova

Glossary

Post by jayhova »

I thought it might be cool to create a glossary of terms to help people new to DFU get along. I was just going to put a few terms in here but I started typing and it sucked me in. Feel free to throw in your own terms, give a better explanation, correct my typos, etc. Eventually, I will get around to making some of these hyperlink to the correct places.

AI Upscaling (link): A method of using advanced algorithms to better predict the correct appearance of a low-resolution image when enlarged.

Asset: Any item that can be deployed in the game that is not an instruction.

Asset Bundle: A .dfmod package which includes various kinds of assets. It's created with the help of the Unity Editor and installed in the StreamingAssets/Mods folder. Benefits of load order and can be updated/removed without affecting other mods.

Asset-Injection: The ability to replace different kinds of assets used in-game and revise Daggerfall Unity to create a unique vision and graphic style.

Billboard: A generally a 2D graphical asset (static or animated) that rotates to always face the player. Billboards are problematic when seen from above or below due to their 2D nature. This is also a problem when calculating shadows. (See sprite)

Bitmapped: Non-scalable graphics with specific colors mapped to specific locations in the image. Low-resolution bitmaps appear blocky when enlarged to fit on high-resolution displays.

Bump mapping (link): A technique in computer graphics for simulating bumps and wrinkles on the surface of an object. Combined with texture maps and reflectivity to produce better visual effects. Bump mapping is an older and simpler technic mostly superseded by normal mapping. Bump mapping is best restricted to fine detail e.g. leather grain, pores, and wrinkles.

Character: Any speaking entity in the game including the player. Arguably non-speaking humanoids might still be considered characters

Console: The DFU console is used to issue commands to the system for debugging and other purposes. The console is similar to other consoles in other games allowing "God Mode" and other similar states. The console is initiated by hitting the `/~ key (typically on the upper lefthand side of the keyboard). Commands are typed in command line fashion. The 'Help' command lists the other commands available.

Daggerfall: A sequel to The Elder Scrolls: Arena and the second installment in The Elder Scrolls series released in 1996 for MS-DOS. DaggerFall introduced the largest land area (the Illiac bay area of Tamriel) of any Fantasy RPG to date and the largest of any Bethesda game. The game was highly ambitious. It used the XnGine for 3D rendering as well as 2D sprites. On July 9, 2009, Bethesda made Daggerfall available for free.

Daggerfall (Classic) : The original game (see above). This includes any official (and unofficial) patches. Unfortunately, the original source code was lost so information on how the game operated must be reverse engineered.

Daggerfall Unity (DFU): Daggerfall Unity is a fan-made open-source project to recreate Daggerfall in the Unity engine. Daggerfall Unity features a variety of improvements over classic Daggerfall, such as greatly improved graphics, many screen resolutions, designed for modding, terrain generation with far greater height variance, and fewer bugs. It also boasts a far greater view distance even without applying mods, equating very roughly to 20 to 25 times that of classic Daggerfall. DFU requires the original game content to run.

Dungeon (link): An underground complex filled with monsters, traps, puzzles, treasure and quest goals. A large part of the PCs time is spent exploring these places and uncovering their secrets.

Dungeon block (link): Dungeon blocks are sections of underground complexes that are linked together to form a complete dungeon. The blocks are stacked to form levels with some levels flowing into one another. Blocks can be linked by special edge blocks that can link two non-adjacent levels e.g. level 3 to level 5. In rare cases, it is possible for blocks to be mismatched so they do not properly link and create a broken dungeon with major sections unreachable. See link above.

The Elder Scrolls: A series of action role-playing open-world epic fantasy video games primarily developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks.

Flat: A 2D asset that may be deployed as a billboard. The terms may often be used interchangeably.

Guild: An organization with a specific purpose that the PC may join and advance through. Each guild gives a variety of different benefits. As the PC moves up in the guild (Generally through quests, etc.) he will be able to access more benefits.

Live Builds: The latest versions of Daggerfall Unity compiled for various platforms and released for public use/testing

Loose Files: Individual files, with a predefined format, installed inside subfolders of StreamingAssets. They override any files inside asset bundles.

Map: Daggerfall has a series of maps. The travel map displays the Illiac bay area of Tamriel allowing the player to select a province on that map and then allows the player to select a destination in the province. The local map displays the immediate outdoor region around the player. The indoor map gives a 3D view of the structure the player occupies. The indoor map is limited to areas the player has explored

MOB (Monster or Beast): A mobile asset representing a creature. Monsters, guards and townspeople could possibly qualify as MOBs. These are typically animated and may be either 2D or 3D. Most are constructed to present different images when seen from different angles with fronts, backs and sides. In DFU this term generally refers to monsters. However guards may attack you under certain circumstances, townspeople can be attacked, have spells cast on them etc. so usage is debatable.

Mod: Mods allow Daggerfall Unity new content not included in classic Daggerfall and are installed by the player. Mods can be packaged as loose files or as bundles using the .dfmod file extension. Bundles can be placed inside StreamingAssets/Mods or any subfolder inside this one. Loose files are placed inside StreamingAssets/Textures, StreamingAssets/Sound, and StreamingAssets/Quests; always refer to ReadMe and developers for any additional indication.

Mod Builder: A graphical tool for the Unity Editor which allows one to easily create asset bundles.

Modding System: A portion of Daggerfall Unity’s code that allows for mods to be written and executed.

Models/Modelling: 3D shapes that are combined with textures to become game objects.

Monsters: Creatures created for the purpose of combat encounters.

Normal Mapping (link): An advanced form of bump mapping. While bump mapping uses simple 8-bit grayscale to convey bumps and pits, normal maps use RGB color to convey angle information that allows objects to appear consistent under varying lighting conditions. Normal mapping is very useful for the rounding of corners, edges, etc. making objects more realistic in appearance.

NPC: Non-Player Character. All characters not controlled by the player

Paperdoll(link): The image of the player character on the character sheet. This 2D image has various equipment applied to it in the fashion of a paper doll. Clothing, armor etc. is placed in layers with the opaque portions of a layer covering the previous layer.

PC: Player Character. The player’s avatar in the game created at the start.

Prefab: A container for Unity assets such as models, materials, particles etc. which can be instantiated in game.

QOL(Quality of Life): Elements implemented in DFU proper that deviate from classic and are not bug fixes. QOL changes are generally small and seek to add minor features, enhance features or correct annoyances in the original game. QOL changes are included only if they do not substantially alter game play. The possible exception to this could be items such as enhanced climbing which allows the under-powered thief-style characters to compete with the magic-using types as was clearly intended but not implemented in classic due to time constraints

Quest: A task to be performed by the PC assigned by characters and events in the game.

Quest Spawn (Spawn): An area in a quest location where a target of a quest is created. Quests with multiple stages have multiple targets such as items, NPCs, etc. Dungeons will have (often multiple) fixed spawn locations. These locations are sometimes located in areas with puzzles making access difficult or the location hidden.

Quest system: A portion of Daggerfall Unity’s code that allows for quests to be written and executed. This code has been expanded to allow for non-classic quests to be added.

Road Map: List of programming and design goals for Daggerfall unity and a rough outline of the order in which they will be done.

SDF Fonts: Signed Distance Field (SDF) fonts are scalable fonts that replace the low-resolution bitmapped fonts used in classic.

Spells system: A portion of Daggerfall Unity’s code that allows for spells to be created and used. The spell system will likely be expanded to allow for additional spell effects outside of Classic

Splat Map (link): In computer graphics, texture splatting is a method for combining different textures. It works by applying an alphamap (also called a "weightmap" or a "splat map") to the higher levels, thereby revealing the layers underneath where the alphamap is partially or completely transparent.

Sprites(link): A computer graphics term for a two-dimensional bitmap that is integrated into a larger scene.

Texture(link): A bitmapped image used as a wrapper for area or object. Textures are used to give all objects in the game color. Textures can be coupled with bump mapping and reflectivity to produce different effects.

Unity(link): Unity is a cross-platform game engine developed by Unity Technologies. The engine can be used to create both three-dimensional and two-dimensional games as well as simulations for its many platforms. Unity is free for personal use but this version is somewhat limited.

Vanilla: A game format that is, or is like, that in classic Daggerfall.

XnGine (link): A 3D engine developed by Bethesda Softworks and used in games 1995-1999 including Daggerfall.
Last edited by jayhova on Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:12 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Jay_H

Re: Glossary

Post by Jay_H »

This is excellent content. Having been here since 2015, I certainly can't keep up with half the terms used here on the forums :lol: Thank you for putting this together.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

A few suggestions:

Billboard: A graphical asset (generally a 2D image) that is rotated to always face the player.
Bump Mapping: I would add that bump maps are also referred to as "normal maps."
Flat: I'm not real clear on this either, but I've often interpreted a flat to be a sprite that does not move, in particular, it does not present alternate viewing angles as it rotates or the player moves around it. It may mean something different to other people.
Monsters: The term "MOB" has been thrown a lot around here referring to monsters/enemies; may want to include it.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yes, very nice post.
To me, flats and billboards are a synonyms but I can be wrong.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

MasonFace wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:27 pm A few suggestions:

Billboard: A graphical asset (generally a 2D image) that is rotated to always face the player.
Flat: I'm not real clear on this either, but I've often interpreted a flat to be a sprite that does not move, in particular, it does not present alternate viewing angles as it rotates or the player moves around it. It may mean something different to other people.
Monsters: The term "MOB" has been thrown a lot around here referring to monsters/enemies; may want to include it.
MOB seems to be short for mobile as in a thing that moves around.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yes, mobile... but its used in relation to enemies. Found this definition which fits IMO:

short for "Mobile objects" or "Mobile Object Blocks", or "Monster Or Beast"
generic term for any non-player entity whose primary purpose is to be killed for experience, quest objective, or loot

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I have included a few links. The links follow a few guidelines. For information on common industry terms I default to wikipedia. For information on specific Daggerfall terms I default to uesp.net/wiki. For information on terms used in specific context on Daggerfall Workshop, I default to the primary forum topic or tutorial.

The format is:

Code: Select all

[b]AI Upscaling [url=https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1642](link)[/url][/b]: 
If you would like me to include a specific link and want to make it easy for me, post the url portion as above in "code" tags and I will be able to paste it in.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

MasonFace wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:27 pm A few suggestions:
Added Normal mapping as a separate entry.

Would anyone like to see this topic pinned?

communityus

Post by communityus »

Pin it. +1

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Defined Paperdoll