[MOD] Trees Of Daggerfall

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Kamer

Re: Trees Of Daggerfall

Post by Kamer »

Double posting to add this one I really liked. Trees really make things flesh out imo

53360233_1228845227292531_191078142901747712_n.png
53360233_1228845227292531_191078142901747712_n.png (1.34 MiB) Viewed 2963 times

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

TheLacus wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:49 pm From a quick test it looks like terrain distance (main menu->advanced->video) has a big effect: I go from 50+ fps with distance 2 to 5-10 fps with distance 4. I guess this is to be expected but there is probably room for improvements. I'll see if i can make some tweaks for tree models import, but this would probably help loading times more that performance.

Anyway, this mod looks really great :)
First guess would be that the 3d models don't get replaced by their billboard imposters at distance. We are talking about speedtree trees, aren't we?
What would help to diagnose the issue would be to see the individual tree gameobjects in the hierarchy window somewhere. Then we could look up different instances of trees to see if the settings are correct

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

MasonFace wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:06 pm No problems here, bud.

VMblastTreesPerformance2.jpg
There are no winter trees so nothing is replaced here except for the vegetation of the dungeon entrance location, which is not affected by season. Try to walk in the wilderness in summer ;)
Nystul wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:35 am
TheLacus wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:49 pm From a quick test it looks like terrain distance (main menu->advanced->video) has a big effect: I go from 50+ fps with distance 2 to 5-10 fps with distance 4. I guess this is to be expected but there is probably room for improvements. I'll see if i can make some tweaks for tree models import, but this would probably help loading times more that performance.

Anyway, this mod looks really great :)
First guess would be that the 3d models don't get replaced by their billboard imposters at distance. We are talking about speedtree trees, aren't we?
What would help to diagnose the issue would be to see the individual tree gameobjects in the hierarchy window somewhere. Then we could look up different instances of trees to see if the settings are correct
They switch to billboards but i think the issue is that even billboards cause performance issues if they are drawn too far in the distance. I'm going to try to reduce maximum distance at which trees are drawn, if it helps I'll add it as a setting so tree distance can be scaled indipendently from terrain distance.

EDIT nevermind, terrain settings only affect assets made with Unity tree creator. Speedtree trees follow their own lod options, so mod creators need to set it theirselves.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Im going to crack. I guess you can climb up the trees now. :lol:

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I wanted to climb trees in the gamrs since I saw a 1st 3d tree screenshot in the 90s... games failed miserably at delivering this to me. Please make this a feature :)
Maybe if Tedious travel MOD is ON the trees shold have no colliders.. but damn I need a tree climbing in DFU! Bring back the childhood :P

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

King of Worms wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:54 pm I wanted to climb trees in the gamrs since I saw a 1st 3d tree screenshot in the 90s... games failed miserably at delivering this to me. Please make this a feature :)
Maybe if Tedious travel MOD is ON the trees shold have no colliders.. but damn I need a tree climbing in DFU! Bring back the childhood :P
Lol :D

Well, its not me. Ive just stumble across this. Ive set up the trees with a simple trunk colliders, the climbing skill (advanced as specially) do that. :P
I can maybe expand on this a little more and add few more colliders per tree, following branches more tightly etc. Ill do this later (in the V1.5 or something), if there is enough interest in people for this feature.

EDIT: - I think that colliders on trees are only activated inside town/city areas and other points of interest, but not in the wilderness.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Sounds good to me :)
Btw, what textures are u using in the screen? The terrain, roofs etc?

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:51 pm Sounds good to me :)
Btw, what textures are u using in the screen? The terrain, roofs etc?
Ive rescaled all of the terrain/housing vanilla textures with the AIGigapixel. Just using it internally. :P

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Added a couple of new small rock replacements for the 504 set.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Ive rescaled all of the terrain/housing vanilla textures with the AIGigapixel. Just using it internally. :P
You stealing my thunder, bruh?!?! lol, just kidding.

That rock looks incredible by the way! And seeing all the trees together in one scene looks fantastic!