Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Narf the Mouse

Re: Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

Post by Narf the Mouse »

So, review:
Spoiler!
Quest where you have to keep a scholarly work out of the hands of the Thieve's Guild for 9 days, and then deliver it to someone after those 9 days are up.
Spoiler!
So...I like the idea. Desperately dodging through the countryside, doing your best to avoid the thieves after you...

The execution, though, kinda, well... seems to amount to being attacked by burglars for 9 days.

Notes:

* It would probably be less tedious without Tedious Travel, as normal Fast Travel doesn't have random encounters.
* It would probably be more tense without Magicka Regeneration, as there's more chance of my mage being slowly worn down over time or killed.

However:

* There's very little story here.

Suggestions:

* Provide multiple exit points: Bribe the Thieve's Guild; kill X burglars and they give up; hand it over to the thieves guild (with appropriate reputation changes.
* Make enemies spawn more sporadically, but potentially in larger groups. As it is, fighting off two burglars every few hours did not provide much drama.
* Vary the enemies encountered. A mercenary or two (warrior or etc.) could provide variety to an encounter.

Thoughts:

* Waiting around for 9 days before delivering something has potential, but as it is, that's only a little longer than it would take to go there anyway, so in this case, I'm not sure it adds much.
Let me note, however, that I do like the ideas here. I wouldn't give this much feedback if I didn't. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Excellent feedback. Thanks Narf. Another player wanted the surrender option but it dropped off my priority list (aka I forgot).

The bribe option isn't easy since there isn't a way to take gold from the PC, except if you talk to a static NPC. That would require a flow like finding something to point you to the thieves guild NPC and then going there to stop the ambushes... I can see that happening, it just won't be super-natural. I'll alter the ambush types based on your suggestions.

I'm thinking of just making one or two real ambushes and then leaving it at that. I mean, these notes can't be that valuable, that you'd throw 10+ guild members at it :lol:

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:09 pm Excellent feedback. Thanks Narf. Another player wanted the surrender option but it dropped off my priority list (aka I forgot).

The bribe option isn't easy since there isn't a way to take gold from the PC, except if you talk to a static NPC. That would require a flow like finding something to point you to the thieves guild NPC and then going there to stop the ambushes... I can see that happening, it just won't be super-natural. I'll alter the ambush types based on your suggestions.

I'm thinking of just making one or two real ambushes and then leaving it at that. I mean, these notes can't be that valuable, that you'd throw 10+ guild members at it :lol:
At this point, with Tedious Travel, I've probably depopulated the equivalent an entire guild or two. :lol:
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Hazed

Post by Hazed »

Currently in a middle of a play through and I noticed each faction seems to have around 3 or 4 missions that always pop up first when I talk to the quest givers (pretty sure its quests from the questpack)

after I say no around 5 times a new mission pops up I take it but once I return its back to saying no to the same 4 missions (and the 4 missions are different each faction but they always seem to be the first missions the factions offer instead of it being in random order)

I wonder maybe its due to using warm ashes or Archaeologists (or both) with this mod?

Once I have more time ill try to test it more to see if it keeps happening

pango

Post by pango »

There's a minimum reputation requirement for quests; But I wonder if there should be a maximum requirement too (as an option).

See in real life, when you start having a lot experience in your field and are considered "a senior", it becomes less and less likely that you'll be given a "junior" job, even if you could still enjoy those from time to time. That would most likely be considered a waste of skills, and the job given to less skilled workers.

In game, that would ensure you see all quests in a more balanced way along your career. The only problem I see is endgame: when you reached the maximum reputation, you'll be given less varied quests than today.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I have noticed the same effect in casual play with the quest pack. I can't possibly explain it; classic Mages Guild has like 5 quests to offer a new member, but with these quests installed, I keep seeing the "Dark Brotherhood thief" quest get offered over and over.

There's no logical explanation for it, but I do notice the same effect. So you aren't crazy Hazed :)

I would be very happy with a maximum reputation requirement, to weed out some of the less significant ones.

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

Hello Jay_H,

I'm enjoying your new quests ,as always. :)

I have run into two problems in two temple quests though. JHTP001 and JHTP003 to be specific. In both cases, the residence I was told to go to didn't work. It gave me a "This house has no value" message even if I got the regular "Hello, welcome to my home/ etc." greeting from clicking on the door. Strangely enough, the residence is assigned to one of the many homes the player can't enter.

I got JHTP001 twice and JHTP003 once and in all three cases I got the same error. If it can help, the two times I got JHTP001 I was directed to the town of Kaladdax (Satakalaam region). I got the quests from the Order of Arkay in Apperano, also from Satakalaam region.

Thank you again for the quest pack. :D

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

You're welcome! Thanks for the great compliments :)

This one most certainly is related to the game engine. Can you confirm it happens with no other mods active? If so, I recommend posting about it in Bug Reports. Other users have mentioned similar problems with entering houses, and I think some of them had to do with mods, but I'm not sure.

Hazed

Post by Hazed »

Cliffworms wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:59 am Hello Jay_H,

I'm enjoying your new quests ,as always. :)

I have run into two problems in two temple quests though. JHTP001 and JHTP003 to be specific. In both cases, the residence I was told to go to didn't work. It gave me a "This house has no value" message even if I got the regular "Hello, welcome to my home/ etc." greeting from clicking on the door. Strangely enough, the residence is assigned to one of the many homes the player can't enter.

I got JHTP001 twice and JHTP003 once and in all three cases I got the same error. If it can help, the two times I got JHTP001 I was directed to the town of Kaladdax (Satakalaam region). I got the quests from the Order of Arkay in Apperano, also from Satakalaam region.

Thank you again for the quest pack. :D

guessing you're using Handpainted model replacement project? download the latest update of that mod and it will fix the "nothing of value in the house" bug

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

Hazed wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:20 am guessing you're using Handpainted model replacement project? download the latest update of that mod and it will fix the "nothing of value in the house" bug
Ahh yes indeed! Thank you for the tip. :)

I'll get that update right away.