World Map Icons idea

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Th3AustralianGam3r

World Map Icons idea

Post by Th3AustralianGam3r »

I've had an idea about map icons that could be used over the boring colored dots, i was wondering if someone may be interested to work on a nicely high res map icons similar to this picture?

I just used the Oblivion map icons as an example and used the colors on the icons.
map.png
map.png (481.9 KiB) Viewed 1900 times

VMblast

Re: World Map Icons idea

Post by VMblast »

Really neat idea! :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Nice idea! Im just affraid the icons must be smaller... too many dots on the maps.

Btw the homes should be purple but the dots on the original map are brown same as cities... some1 might correct that as well

Th3AustralianGam3r

Post by Th3AustralianGam3r »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:17 am Nice idea! Im just affraid the icons must be smaller... too many dots on the maps.

Btw the homes should be purple but the dots on the original map are brown same as cities... some1 might correct that as well
Thats what i thought as well because of so many small dots, maybe some sort of a zoom in and zoom out feature might help?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hmm, some zoom in and out feature is already implemented, but not many ppl use it I guess. Its there since 1996 but Ive found out just recently, so.. :lol:

Right click the regional map for a zoom..

Better zoom in/out feature might do the trick. And a bit smaller icons maybe..

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

@King of Worms
Also, dont forget that the dots are categorized by their light-dark value. The brighter the spot - the bigger the place/city. This way, with the icons, only larger/important places could be shown, but player still needs to find/locate/visit those -dimmer- spots. ;)

pango

Post by pango »

But large locations are not always far apart; An example that comes to my mind is that large city (that I can't recall the name right now) that is literally 1 pixel to the south-east of Wayrest city...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:17 am Nice idea! Im just affraid the icons must be smaller... too many dots on the maps.

In fact this is a bug in classic: town and home dot colors are inverted (if you look closer, you'll see that smaller towns, i.e. taverns and hamlets, are purple). Though this would make DFU a little different from classic, I think it is a way better if dot colors are the same as button colors. So I submitted a PR to correct this.
Last edited by Ferital on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Perfect!! Thank you :)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Nice, Ferital - these are the kinds of little QoL fixes/improvements I love to see.

And I also agree that if there were some way to handle the unworkably huge amount of clutter map markers would cause on more zoomed out views of the map, this would be a really cool mod.