[MOD] Trees Of Daggerfall

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
AlexanderSig

Re: Trees Of Daggerfall

Post by AlexanderSig »

Fantastic work! :)

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

@AlexanderSig
Cheers man. ;)

pango wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:56 pm Sadly, it didn't work for me under Linux (pink textures):
I dont know why this happened (sry man). I'll have to look into this. Stay tuned.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

pango wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:56 pm Sadly, it didn't work for me under Linux (pink textures)
Try it now (download on the first page). Hopefully it will work this time.

pango

Post by pango »

VMblast wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:06 pm Try it now (download on the first page). Hopefully it will work this time.
It seems you have fixed it, I tried that new version alone and combined with other mods, so far so good!
Thanks!
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

VMblast

Re: [MOD] Trees Of Daggerfall

Post by VMblast »

@pango
Ok great! :)

Guys is it working for the rest of you, and how its working? I need some feedback! :P

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yo, win 7 x64 its working and looking nice!

My performace is not too good, even on terrain distance 1.. lets say around 40fps... before I was capped at 60, but I think without VSYNC and this mod disabled Im at 100plus FPS..

I monitor my resource usage closely and my GTX 970 card is chilling at cca 33% usage.
Seems the CPU is bottlenecking (AMD FX 8300 at 4.1ghz) - its the draw calls for sure.
The cores are not even 100% utilized. So that means the optimalization must be done somehow...

The terrain creation when you move towards another "square" is also very affected by this mod. Takes lets say 10-15 seconds to generate, while be4 it was like 1-2 secs.

BUT

I know this is just a start! This will eventually be all solved and than this will be a must have mod.

Its truly very good MOD for such a early stage of development and performance issues are to be expected with something of this scale, altering 1000s of trees...

Go on pls guys :)

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

King of Worms wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:14 am Yo, win 7 x64 its working and looking nice!

My performace is not too good, even on terrain distance 1.. lets say around 40fps... before I was capped at 60, but I think without VSYNC and this mod disabled Im at 100plus FPS..

I monitor my resource usage closely and my GTX 970 card is chilling at cca 33% usage.
Seems the CPU is bottlenecking (AMD FX 8300 at 4.1ghz) - its the draw calls for sure.
The cores are not even 100% utilized. So that means the optimalization must be done somehow...

The terrain creation when you move towards another "square" is also very affected by this mod. Takes lets say 10-15 seconds to generate, while be4 it was like 1-2 secs.

BUT

I know this is just a start! This will eventually be all solved and than this will be a must have mod.

Its truly very good MOD for such a early stage of development and performance issues are to be expected with something of this scale, altering 1000s of trees...

Go on pls guys :)
Hmm, well Ive done all I can from my part of expertise: Optimized polycount, texture size & LOD's distances. Everything else is out of my league.

Ive told @TheLacus that Ive maybe found the potential performance problem: SPTree uses 8 side mesh for the billboard LOD distance! On one hand this is great because you get to see 8 different billboard sides at a great LOD distance. But that is also a potential huge problem for the DFU, since it uses just one billboard card and one texture side for the LOD distance. You add the math. :(

NOTE: Ive updated and added Test Configuration and Performances on the first page, so player could have rough estimate of what to expect.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

This will get solved, dont worry. I remember how my mod ran before one year... there was less than 1/2 of current assets and no advanced materials and it killed any PC on demand just like that.

In few months, the same progress will happen with your mod. It will fly - I believe we have some skilled ppl onboard who can take care of it:)

Also, my cpu is becoming archaic (yet I LOVE how it copes in 2019)
Its all about the CPU botleneck in case of this mod... so...
You have nice performance on your ryzen5 and thats basically a mainstream CPU nowadays - not bad for a early beta

Summoning

Post by Summoning »

VMblast wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:47 pm Added a couple of new small rock replacements for the 504 set.

Oh Man!! This is very beautiful!!! :P

Can´t wait for 3dtrees full release!

Soft and wet

Post by Soft and wet »

I think our biggest hurdle with the performance from this mod is simply hardware utilization, I have an RTX 2070 and an I7-4790k and even then with this mod the lag is crippling, going off into MSI Afterburner I see that hardware is utilized to 38 percent at its max on gpu at 42 on the cpu. So as I was eluding to prior to that tangent the biggest hurdle is finding a way to get DF unity to actually utilize our hardware.
"Softo Ando Weto"Image