Daggerfall Tools for Unity cannot compile

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
archmagus

Daggerfall Tools for Unity cannot compile

Post by archmagus »

Hello. I have some experience with Unity but I am new to modding Daggerfall Unity. So I decided to download the Daggerfall Tools for Unity and follow the modding tutorials. But I hit a roadblock. When I open a new project and import Daggerfall Tools for Unity package, I get several errors in the console. This is a sreenshot of the console:
https://imgur.com/YvoXOln

I opened the script in question and in the first line, I saw this (along with the other several red underlines):
https://imgur.com/SFvXgu8

I am between noob and intermediate level in programming, so I came to understand that the class CodeCompiler tries to inherit from ICodeCompiler but cannot find it. I looked into ICodeCompiler and found it in Microsoft .NET documentation, so I reasoned it should be integral to Unity. That's where I'm stuck.

Can anyone help me with resolving this issue? I feel there is a very basic thing missing in this scheme but I can't put my finger on it.

On a side note; am I supposed to create a Unity project just anywhere and import the Daggerfall Tools for Unity package? Don't I need to access the original Daggerfall files somewhere in the project folder?

Thanks a lot for the help, in advance :)

P.S. sorry for both img and url, but imgur is blocked in Turkey (I use a VPN) so I cannot see the pictures in the post, so I couldn't be sure if you could access them.

MasonFace

Re: Daggerfall Tools for Unity cannot compile

Post by MasonFace »

Hello!

What version of Unity are you using?

archmagus

Post by archmagus »

MasonFace wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:16 pm Hello!

What version of Unity are you using?
Hello :) I'm using Unity 2018.2.18f1

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

I'd suggest installing Unity version 2018.2.11f1, although I don't think that should have prevented the project from compiling.

It may not fix the problem, but it may be worth a try until someone can offer a better solution.

archmagus

Post by archmagus »

MasonFace wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:48 pm I'd suggest installing Unity version 2018.2.11f1, although I don't think that should have prevented the project from compiling.

It may not fix the problem, but it may be worth a try until someone can offer a better solution.
Unity 2018.2.11f1 does the same. Well, the search continues :)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Hi archmagus!
Go to Player Settings and change Api Compatiblity Level to .NET 2.0. This should solve compilation errors ;) If you intend to make mods I also suggest you to clone Daggerfall Unity instead of using DTFU in a new project.

archmagus

Post by archmagus »

TheLacus wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:05 pm Hi archmagus!
Go to Player Settings and change Api Compatiblity Level to .NET 2.0. This should solve compilation errors ;) If you intend to make mods I also suggest you to clone Daggerfall Unity instead of using DTFU in a new project.
That did the trick, Unity let me off with a few warnings! :D
Thanks a lot, I also cloned the project. One question though, I see my game saves when I run the game from within Unity. Is that because the game saves are kept in a common folder? If so, where is that? :D

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

I was gonna post about this. Thanks for sharing.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

archmagus wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:21 pm
TheLacus wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:05 pm Hi archmagus!
That did the trick, Unity let me off with a few warnings! :D
Thanks a lot, I also cloned the project. One question though, I see my game saves when I run the game from within Unity. Is that because the game saves are kept in a common folder? If so, where is that? :D
If you still need this information you can find it here (see Persistent Data Path) ;)

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

I keep getting this error whenever I load up DF Tools for Unity

Spoiler!
error CS1704: An assembly with the same name `FullSerializer - Unity' has already been imported. Consider removing one of the references or sign the assembly
Assets/Resources/FullSerializer - Unity.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)
Assets/Resources/FullSerializer.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)

Compilation failed: 1 error(s), 0 warnings

I also don't have the "Daggerfall tools" option on Unity. This basically makes the entire thing useless as I can't create mods.