Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Jay_H

Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Post by Jay_H »

For the last short while, I've been thinking of writing a "Beginner's Guide and Introduction to Daggerfall," for the presumed groups of people who will want to try Daggerfall Unity but found Privateer's Hold too hard to escape, and so on. I figured a wiki would be the best way to publish it, and it would serve a double purpose of allowing mod documentation and patch updates for DFU, etc. Then again, I know most wikis aren't something you just pull out of a box and start writing on; there's some serious config that has to be done beyond my range of expertise. If I could, I'd make a suggestion for one at some point in the next several months, as I believe it would be a useful tool for communicating once the project reaches maturity. (Until then I might start writing my guide on UESP or something and then migrate it over here and tailor it to DFU.)

LypyL

Re: Daggerfall Wiki

Post by LypyL »

A wiki could be cool, though it will be hard to beat the UESP for general Daggerfall information.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Escaping privateers hold is simple (at least for classes with at least some primary combat capability).

In the class creation menu, set your Speed to 75 and HP/level to 30. Most important stats for melee combat; speed literally multiplies your attacks per second, and more HP is more HP. Set the other stats according to common sense; ie., you don't really need much personality. Don't lower anything below 35, and when it rolls stats, re-roll until everything is at least above 40, and you have 10+ stat points to distribute.

With a "proper" stat setup, I consider it a poor run if I don't kill everything in Privateer's hold.

OTOH, less of a challenge; and stat optimization; may be less fun (for some people; YMMV).

Also, the common advice to lower the slider to level fast? Nope; levelling fast means you pick up less loot per level. At higher levels, you have an overall lower capability; until you hit the "soft equipment cap" where your armour and weapons are enchanted Daedric and all your enchanted jewelry slots are filled. This is because Daggerfall uses levelled lists; with more dangerous monsters and less equipment, the balance shifts more against you.

Of course, loot is random, so that's not guaranteed. I've escaped PH with a few Elven items.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I think there are players out there who need the help of a structured guide; some of us "naturally" understood Daggerfall from the beginning, and others seem to need some help. Here's an example of some videos that I think are instructive to my thinking. (This is not a call-out on gix individually; he's a great guy with a lot of gaming experience.)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote:I think there are players out there who need the help of a structured guide; some of us "naturally" understood Daggerfall from the beginning, and others seem to need some help. Here's an example of some videos that I think are instructive to my thinking. (This is not a call-out on gix individually; he's a great guy with a lot of gaming experience.)
Of course; I've been playing the game since the 90s and there's still plenty of things I don't know.

There are some things I've worked out, though. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

This thread's from 2016, but I think it represents an important point. If we're going to move DFU away from Interkarma and toward the community, as it should be, I think a wiki's going to be a vital information base. It'll also reduce answers to redundant questions when we can just link to the important stuff. A wiki can be useful to show the what, how, and why of game mechanics.

Since DFU content isn't likely to change from here to 1.0, why not get started?

EDIT: http://dfu.wikia.com. Now accepting contributors. PM me your username if you want to add. I have no idea how to use wikia :lol:

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

I was just thinking about creating an intro doc but perhaps a Wiki is a better idea. Really, both should probably exist.
Jay_H, I admire you taking the first step but Wikia is a bloated mess of a platform. Could we try something simpler?
Mediawiki is a really popular choice. UESP runs on it, for example, as does Sarna.net (the Battletech wiki) and the Dolphin Emulator wiki. However, it requires hosting, which means we would need to evaluate the options. Maybe Interkarma would be generous enough to let us put one on the dfworkshop server, maybe we could use one of the free options presented here. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hosting_services

Either way, we are starting to see a lot of questions and confusion and linking back to old threads to explain things. A wiki would make more sense than relying on forum search and sifting through the many casual discussion posts. Wiki would be a place for cold hard fact and documentation.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yes, I'm completely new to this and I just jumped at the first thing I thought of :) Any better suggestions welcome!

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Azteca wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:31 pm Either way, we are starting to see a lot of questions and confusion and linking back to old threads to explain things. A wiki would make more sense than relying on forum search and sifting through the many casual discussion posts. Wiki would be a place for cold hard fact and documentation.
Couldn't agree more, and thanks to Jay H as well for taking the initiative!

Jay_H

Re: Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Post by Jay_H »

Until Interkarma posts on whether he'd host the wiki, we can divide our ideas into free (remote hosting) and non-free (hosted on DFWorkshop). What would be the best wiki system for each case?