Character creation suggestion

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
jayhova

Character creation suggestion

Post by jayhova »

Since DFU changes one of the ways that classic operates in a non-obvious way, I was thinking that it would be a good idea to install a popup message when someone chooses weakness to paralisis for a race immune to paralysis that reads something like " WARNING: Choosing this option eliminates your immunity to paralysis and reduces your character to normal vulnerability."

Watching the run throughs of Calyptic G and it occurred to me that highly intelligent spell casters would be unlikely to waste spell points casting spells at creatures they knew to be invulnerable to certain spell effects. This would be like casting fireballs at a fire atronach. Of course spiders would still do it and assassins with paralysis poison would do that but a 500 year old Lich would not. Just a thought. That is to say that actually choosing the vulnerability might have the advantage that more intelligent creatures expect you to be invulnerable.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

mikeprichard

Re: Character creation suggestion

Post by mikeprichard »

I very strongly agree that such popup messages should apply whenever more than one resistance flag (immune/resistant/low tolerance/critical weakness) for the same element (magic/fire/frost/shock/paralysis/poison) applies and/or there's "overlap" in terms of in-game effects - i.e. high elf and nord paralysis immunity and frost resistance respectively, magic resistance vs. paralysis resistance particularly, etc. The way DFU handles these situations is quite different from classic's implementation: see Interkarma's explanation of Allofich's changes here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1709#p19981. In fact, I requested exactly this three posts below the above-linked post in that topic, and Interkarma indicated he agreed a couple posts later. Classic players especially would be very confused and assume the behavior is "buggy" without these warnings, while many players with no classic Daggerfall experience would likely also be in the dark here, and as a result would make apparently reasonable but actually incorrect assumptions when planning their characters.