Racial Advs/Disadvs

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
ACNAero

Racial Advs/Disadvs

Post by ACNAero »

I'm about to start working on my first mod ever (with no coding experience, so this will be new to me). I want to take the racial passives and skills of future games and make a mod that uses the Advantage and Disadvantage system to make all races have these automatically, like how vanilla High Elves and Nords already have Paralysis Immunity and Frost Resistance, respectively. However, I have some questions that I'm hoping one of the DFU devs can answer.

1. My lesser concern is if advantages like Expertise in Weapon or Acute Hearing can be applied without much issues. I figure this might not be much of an issue given Forbidden Weapon is the only disadvantage that could potentially override a Expertise in Weapon racial advantage, which I'm 100% fine with.

2. My much bigger concern is how classes will interact with the Increased Magery advantage. Given that as of current DFU still has the vanilla bug with racial and gender attribute changes being overwritten by the class itself, I feel that Increased Magery might end up the same way. Ideally, Increased Magery (say, Int x1.5 for a Breton) would only be overwritten by a greater multiplier, but overwrite a lower multiplier.

I also have a more basic question, which is which files I need to edit to have this mod work at all.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

ACNAero

Re: Racial Advs/Disadvs

Post by ACNAero »

I've made a rudimentary edit to the RaceTemplate file, which I believe is the correct file the race data is stored in. However, I was pretty much guessing when it came to the Special Abilities flags, and I'd be very appreciative if someone could check my coding and be able to confirm that I did it right or wrong.
Last edited by ACNAero on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Post by pango »

Hi ACNAero,
Well, first thing first, I'm not sure what tool you used (some office suite I guess?) but it messed the file badly (adding HTML tags, then RTF tags on top of that). The result is not totally unusable since I managed to revert those changes, but it took more time than necessary.
You should really take some time to find and install the right tools for the job, ideally some IDE that supports C# (say Visual Studio Code), or at bare minimum some text editor (say Notepad++) that won't totally change the content of the files you edit.

For anyone interested in looking at your changes, I pushed those into a branch on GitHub:
https://github.com/petchema/daggerfall- ... 891f7c37f2
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

Thanks, Pongo. Hopefully proper version here. Now I just need conformation if I did the Special Abilities coding correctly or not. I used the references the way they're typed here because I couldn't find a better reference. https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... Strings.cs
Last edited by ACNAero on Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Post by pango »

That's another case when using an IDE would help, because it could tell you where the definitions come from, navigate among them, and even suggest valid completions.
In this case, SpecialAbilityFlags are defined in DFCareer.cs
-- Charles Goodhart

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

Thanks again... yeah, my complete lack of any experience in this is showing badly :oops:

pango

Post by pango »

Don't worry, we all started some day :)
-- Charles Goodhart

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

Increased Magery and Expertise in Weapon removed from classes due to not having flags (well, there's a ProficiencyFlag, but that's for both Expertise and Forbidden Weapon, and I don't want to take chances), and Khajiit Acute Hearing fixed. I'm just wondering what to do with High Elves and Khajiit. Leaving High Elves with low tolerances to fire, frost, and shock with no magicka bonus pretty much ruins them, and Khajiit only getting Acute Hearing is just kinda... lame. If anyone has ideas, I'm open to them.

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

Think I might have figured out how to add weapon proficiencies to the races properly. Still open to suggestions on what to do with High Elves.
Attachments
RaceEditsV2.zip
(2.18 KiB) Downloaded 96 times