I got bored so I assembled a logo

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
jayhova

I got bored so I assembled a logo

Post by jayhova »

DFU logo.png
DFU logo.png (403.79 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
There is still a bit of touch up work to do
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

charlieg

Re: I got bored so I assembled a logo

Post by charlieg »

Of course you know the project could not use this as it would be copyright infringement... but a fun idea nonetheless.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Actually everything the team is doing is acknowledged to to be the property of Bethesda Softworks. The use of the unity logo to promote usage of their products in a manner consistent with its allowed usage. Usage like this is generally considered fair as long as the parties in question are not using images in a manner that damages the owners or collects money based on their existing IP.

UserOfThisSite

Post by UserOfThisSite »

jayhova wrote: ↑Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:48 am Actually everything the team is doing is acknowledged to to be the property of Bethesda Softworks. The use of the unity logo to promote usage of their products in a manner consistent with its allowed usage. Usage like this is generally considered fair as long as the parties in question are not using images in a manner that damages the owners or collects money based on their existing IP.
Stop right there you criminal scum! You can use Unity logo only if it's unmodified and with permission. Now pay the fines or go to the jail. You can also resist arrest or load previous save.

Here all the info you need:
https://unity3d.com/legal/branding_trademarks
If I sound rude, please ignore it, that's how I communicate. I'm actually very non-emotional and thus the chances that I'm angry while posting are ~0%. I also use sarcasm very often.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Well, realistically no one is likely to give a crap for a non-commercial project. Unity is unlikely to look upon a very successful use of their product by hobbyist to achieve a goal as something they need to shut down. Trust me if someone created Brothel simulator Unity, there would be trouble. As it is, I am a hobbyist making a piece of art. I am not selling anything. And I am expressing my feelings about the use of both Daggerfall and Unity. To a great extent it's not a lot different than Andy Warhol selling pictures of Campbell's soup cans.

No one asked me to create this thing. I created purely for my own pleasure. If anyone chooses to use my creation they may do so in anyway they see fit.

Daggerfall and its associated images are trademarks of Bethesda softworks. Same goes for the unity logo and Unity software. They own these things and I don't.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Like... have u seen the Dfu game icon? Its the stuff you just made. Try something original πŸ˜‰

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

King of Worms wrote: ↑Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:50 pm Like... have u seen the Dfu game icon? Its the stuff you just made. Try something original πŸ˜‰
That was of course my inspiration. Isn't it funny how I am violating all the copyrights when the project has been distributed with a similar logo for ages? The DFU icon looks better than my take at small size. I've never seen it at any other size. So I made something bigger with words in it.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Well copyrights can be co fusing. What if the fact you added the words is problematic? Maybe the skeleton holding a unnamed cube is ok. I can quite imagine it...

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

They can be confusing indeed. In its simplest form copyright prevents you from distributing anything I write without my permission. Of course this gets more complicated when you start dealing with trademarks. The reason that companies have logos is because of the idea of trademarks which is a very old idea. Take for instance the Ulfberht swords of 1000+ years ago. These swords were made from high quality crucible steel which was otherwise unavailable at the time. The swords themselves were marked with the word Ulfberht in a specific fashion. Because the swords were so valuable forgeries came into being. This is pretty much the same as Gucci knockoff handbags today. This would be an example of trademark infringement. Companies create distinctive symbols like McDonalds double arches as trademarks. In the past individual crafts people would create such marks to stamp on goods they made as a assurance of quality. Obviously, if someone else used this symbol and stamped their own good with it they would be trading on their good will.

Trademarks and copyrights are both intellectual property. However, they are not the same thing. All the code, artwork, lore, etc. are copyrighted works. As such they are protected. They are not however protected into perpetuity. Trademarks, on the other hand, are protected into perpetuity. They are also may not be subject to the same "fair use" criteria as copyrighted material. The line where things are trademarks and merely copyrighted can get blurry. Disney, for instance, does not wish anyone else to make anything mickey mouse related. However, steamboat willie has now fallen into the public domain. To get their way Disney has made Mickey Mouse a trademark of the Disney corporation. Marvel did the same with their characters to make them IP perpetually under their control.

The Daggerfall logo is likely considered a trademark of Bethesda softworks. The image of the underking may likewise be considered a trademark. For Unity the cube would defitny be a trademark. Their name in itself is not a trademark but the particular form used in their logos would be. So the words Daggerfall unity would not be infringement in themselves but would be if you were attempting to pass off something outside the IP of Bethsoft and/or Unity. You cannot for instance make your own game and call it Daggerfall and you sure could not put the Daggerfall "D" on it. You could not make a game that used an engine of your own design and put the "Cube" logo on it. That cube all by itself is most certainly a trademark. It's likely the "D" is trademarked along with the logo and possibly the image of the Underking.

The use of the cube itself in any manner not deemed appropriate by the owner in the licence agreement could be trademark infringement. The same goes for the Bethsoft IP. However, when we get into the waters of hobbies activities things get rather murky. It's difficult to claim anyone is committing trademark infringement if they are not trading anything. If someone paints a painting of a street scene with a mcdonalds sign in it can they be prevented from then selling that painting? No. Can they be prevented from selling prints of that painting? No. There is a certain leeway to be had in artistic representation. What you are not allowed to do is make representations for commercial purposes or to make false claims or inferences.

Legally there is no real difference between images with words and without. However the reality is that as no money is changing hands there is little basis for claims of trademark infringement. And again it's likely the players involved would not care.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've been considering changing the DFU icon for a while to remove the Unity logo. It's likely not in line with their logo guidelines and it distracts from the more literal meaning of bringing old and new Daggerfall players together. That it also references the engine is mostly wordplay.