Solution to the what happens when I click problem

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
jayhova

Re: Solution to the what happens when I click problem

Post by jayhova »

Al-Khwarizmi wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:03 am Still, there is a case that can be made for keeping the classic UI choices, at least as an option, for historical preservation reasons.
There is a resistance to modify the DFU engine itself to behave in ways that are outside classic look and feel. The beauty of this is there is no need to alter the game function at all. If do not install extra cursor icons they don't appear. The only change needed is on the code side and this would not affect the user. There is also not need to change the UI or add check boxes etc. The icons could be collected in a mod or as loose files.
BansheeXYZ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:10 am
In other words, stealing currently involves a key press (steal mode), a click (steal), then another keypress (grab mode). Why can't that first keypress simply perform the steal action on what the crosshair is pointing at? It can and it should. It takes 1 click instead of 3, and it's easier to understand than having buttons changing what other buttons do.
The way Daggerfall modes operate affects the gameplay and the player. The segregation of modes changes you. When you are in steal mode you are thinking like a thief. You start thinking who can I steal from. You are literally in a stealing mode. If you are a fighter and come to a locked door you bash it down. As a roguish character I might try to pick the lock on the door. Modes alter your default actions and that alters how you play the game. Daggerfall purposefully forces you to adopt a roleplaying mode.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

jayhova wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:07 am The way Daggerfall modes operate affects the gameplay and the player. The segregation of modes changes you. When you are in steal mode you are thinking like a thief. You start thinking who can I steal from. You are literally in a stealing mode. If you are a fighter and come to a locked door you bash it down. As a roguish character I might try to pick the lock on the door. Modes alter your default actions and that alters how you play the game. Daggerfall purposefully forces you to adopt a roleplaying mode.
Hmm, interesting take, but the idea of switching "modes" has the opposite effect for me - it's very gamey and not at all immersive. If I want to roleplay within the world of Daggerfall, I don't want to be thinking about hitting F1 to get into X "zone" and F2 to get into Y "zone" - I just want to seamlessly do whatever I feel is appropriate in each situation. To my mind, the "modes" can't be justified either from an efficient UI point of view or an immersive gameplay perspective. I guess we just look at this very differently.

UserOfThisSite

Post by UserOfThisSite »

jayhova wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:07 am The way Daggerfall modes operate affects the gameplay and the player. The segregation of modes changes you. When you are in steal mode you are thinking like a thief. You start thinking who can I steal from. You are literally in a stealing mode. If you are a fighter and come to a locked door you bash it down. As a roguish character I might try to pick the lock on the door. Modes alter your default actions and that alters how you play the game. Daggerfall purposefully forces you to adopt a roleplaying mode.
Wow, you must be politician! You took outdated, flawed and overall bad feature and managed to show it in good side and even tried to persuade that it was intentional and must stay! I'm 100% sure there're people who will even believe you, just like people believe politicians!
So Daggerfall enforces roleplay mode, which you can change anytime by pressing a button? Whom do I roleplay in grab mode? Pervert?
If I sound rude, please ignore it, that's how I communicate. I'm actually very non-emotional and thus the chances that I'm angry while posting are ~0%. I also use sarcasm very often.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I agree that the 4 interaction types are PITA
How many times Ive clicked the doors in steal mode unintentionally?
How many times Ive robed someone instead of talking to him?

IF there is a thing which needs a quality of life improvements, its this now.
Keep it optional maybe, but just get it ingame somehow.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Let's calm down here a little. We have our opinions but getting angry about it only turns off discussion.

UserOfThisSite

Post by UserOfThisSite »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:15 pm Let's calm down here a little. We have our opinions but getting angry about it only turns off discussion.
Sorry, I grown up on black humour / sarcasm games and movies, I'm not angry, that's how I talk 24/7!
I'll write this in my signature to make sure there're no misunderstandings in the future. I didn't want offend/harass the other Jay, my posts shouldn't be taken seriously when they look emotional, because in reality I was completely calm, when I posted it.
If I sound rude, please ignore it, that's how I communicate. I'm actually very non-emotional and thus the chances that I'm angry while posting are ~0%. I also use sarcasm very often.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It's fine, don't worry. I'm just trying to keep everyone on the same level here. Text is a notoriously bad transmission medium, so I want to make sure sarcasm is duly noted when it's intended. Thanks for clarifying.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Hey UserOfThisSite, briefly hijacking the thread because I see you're back - are you still planning to continue work on your proposed "Static Leveling" mod (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=277&start=70#p21900)? Interkarma just exposed the attributes per level to modding (i.e. the current random 4-6 stat points awarded per level), and I had some basic ideas for your mod here (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1893#p22903). Please let me know whether you're interested in continuing work; if not, I'll try to figure some of this out over the next few months on my own.

UserOfThisSite

Post by UserOfThisSite »

mikeprichard wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:11 pm Hey UserOfThisSite, briefly hijacking the thread because I see you're back - are you still planning to continue work on your proposed "Static Leveling" mod (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=277&start=70#p21900)? Interkarma just exposed the attributes per level to modding (i.e. the current random 4-6 stat points awarded per level), and I had some basic ideas for your mod here (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1893#p22903). Please let me know whether you're interested in continuing work; if not, I'll try to figure some of this out over the next few months on my own.
Briefly continuing hijacking the thread:
Yes, I'll look into this right away. I'll also try to make it customizable, so you'll be able to modify variables in the HP per level formula and the amount of bonus pool points.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

UserOfThisSite wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:14 pm Briefly continuing hijacking the thread:
Yes, I'll look into this right away. I'll also try to make it customizable, so you'll be able to modify variables in the HP per level formula and the amount of bonus pool points.
Briefly continuing the continuing - I forgot to note that Interkarma's change to allow overriding the 4-6 stat point "BonusPool" formula won't be ready until the next round of builds per his April 3 post in my second linked topic above. But that's great that you're going to keep working on this - I'll definitely have that mod in my load order whenever I play DFU post-1.0!