Selling horses & carts

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
jayhova

Re: Selling horses & carts

Post by jayhova »

Maybe you are desperate for money. Maybe as an element of roleplay. Who knows. If the player really wants to sell his cart let him. Maybe that one item is what you need to get your merchant skill up. :-)
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

This still leaves the question of what to do when the cart has items, though. Should they all just disappear? Or hang around in the void until a player buys another wagon?

pango

Post by pango »

The "wagon" button doesn't allow to specify which cart to use, so I see two options:
  • we allow to use all the carts you have, wagon capacity grows with the number of carts. Assuming you pack your stuff in the minimum number of carts needed, the others are empty and sellable. Beside implementation difficulty (are items assigned to carts, or are we just using n * 750kg as wagon capacity?), this option is the most likely to break game balance;
  • only allow to fill one cart, others stay empty. In which case we can sell all but one cart, and maybe sell the last one only if it's empty.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

pango wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:21 am The "wagon" button doesn't allow to specify which cart to use, so I see two options:
  • we allow to use all the carts you have, wagon capacity grows with the number of carts. Assuming you pack your stuff in the minimum number of carts needed, the others are empty and sellable. Beside implementation difficulty (are items assigned to carts, or are we just using n * 750kg as wagon capacity?), this option is the most likely to break game balance;
  • only allow to fill one cart, others stay empty. In which case we can sell all but one cart, and maybe sell the last one only if it's empty.
Or... disallow ownership of more than 1 cart/horse/spellbook. The game really wasn't designed for selecting between duplicates of those things. And having endless carts seems like cheating, plus it ruins the point of buying a house.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

One good reason to allow the selling of a horse and wagon is so the PC can steal another one. I think the idea of only allowing a wagon to be sold if it is empty is correct. It would be convenient if all the stuff got moved into your personal inventory automatically. As to buying a horse if you already have one it seems like the easy solution is to just remove the horse and/or wagon from the items for sale or ghost them out in the items for sale UI.

pango

Post by pango »

I created a PR
"Allow to sell horses and wagons.
If you have items in your wagon, one arbitrary wagon cannot be sold."

Feel free to test it, the inventory is used in a lot of contexts, I hope I forgot no loophole...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:46 am
pango wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:21 am The "wagon" button doesn't allow to specify which cart to use, so I see two options:
Or... disallow ownership of more than 1 cart/horse/spellbook. The game really wasn't designed for selecting between duplicates of those things. And having endless carts seems like cheating, plus it ruins the point of buying a house.
I think this would be the right approach. I will admit to not considering the possibility of people stealing multiple carts... :roll:

So, ensure player can only have a single horse and single cart, then nothing else is required. Selling them is a bit pointless IMO, but I suppose if people want that for RP value it could be added.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

SlainByWoodborne

Post by SlainByWoodborne »

Stealing horses and carts then selling them is an easy way to get money early in the game for training and base gear. Only allowing a player to obtain one or one at a time would be severely limiting.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

SlainByWoodborne wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:01 am Stealing horses and carts then selling them is an easy way to get money early in the game for training and base gear. Only allowing a player to obtain one or one at a time would be severely limiting.
This seems like quite a challenge just getting something like that to work. How do you deal with multiple wagons? You can't fit one in your wagon. I think it would be safe to assume that if you were going around with half a dozen horses you might attract a little attention. Selling your one wagon/horse is the simplest solution because the game already supports having 1 or 0 horses/wagons. The only thing you would need to do is make your wagon sellable only when empty. There isn't much you have to change other than that. Other than of course allowing or disallowing the sale.

SlainByWoodborne

Post by SlainByWoodborne »

jayhova wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:03 am This seems like quite a challenge just getting something like that to work. How do you deal with multiple wagons? You can't fit one in your wagon.
I would imagine something like the following but with wooden carts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HuckepackCrop.JPG
jayhova wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:03 amI think it would be safe to assume that if you were going around with half a dozen horses you might attract a little attention.
Depending on the circumstances, I'm sure that's true. There aren't any quests to drive a team of horses for a noble, though that could be fun. It's equally safe to assume horses need stables to be properly treated but I've yet to see one; would be nice, though.
jayhova wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:03 amSelling your one wagon/horse is the simplest solution because the game already supports having 1 or 0 horses/wagons. The only thing you would need to do is make your wagon sellable only when empty. There isn't much you have to change other than that. Other than of course allowing or disallowing the sale.
The game supports obtaining as many horses and carts as you're able. I was surprised after playing classic for so long that I was unable to sell my ill-gotten carts and horses back to the very merchants from which I stole them.