Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Jay_H

Re: Tedious Travel 0.3.0

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums! :) That reminds me a little of this post I saw about Minecraft's Jens :lol: https://imgur.com/UXZpQct

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

another that calls a HUDVitals.Update every TediousTravel.Update so that the fatigue meter would drop during autopilot.
So that's how you do that. Thanks, I'll take that in once I get the time.
I made some "less tedious" tedious travel edits: one that takes the Running and Swimming skill into account and grants a chance to avoid being stopped by an enemy spawn based on them (up to 90% with 100 in both)
Essentially those should already be accounted for, since Tedious Travel uses the normal speed of the character, which is influenced by those skills. But from what I gather you just added in a check to skip random encounters, which makes sense, I guess.
Feel free to submit a pull request with your modifications, I'll check on it and merge the stuff I like when I get the time.
I don't really know what I'm doing
Every software developer should wear a shirt with those words on it! :lol:

Kaedius

Post by Kaedius »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:45 pm Welcome to the forums! :)
Thanks! Love your quests, btw.
jedidia wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:57 am Essentially those should already be accounted for, since Tedious Travel uses the normal speed of the character, which is influenced by those skills. But from what I gather you just added in a check to skip random encounters, which makes sense, I guess.
Yeah, I just wanted to lessen the chance for random encounters so I figured the Running and Swimming skills would be a somewhat balanced way to determine whether to skip them.
jedidia wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:57 am Feel free to submit a pull request with your modifications, I'll check on it and merge the stuff I like when I get the time.
Sure thing. I added my changes as settings configurable in the mod settings gui. The only thing I'm unsure of is that I use a GameManager,ClearEnemies function to remove the random spawn that appears, and I do not know if there are enemies/spawns it clears in the area of the player that it shouldn't.

Kayzee

Post by Kayzee »

I find this mod really interesting... my biggest problem with it is that it slows my old laptop to a crawl after a while from the rapid terrain loading. Honestly I think it would be better if there was an option where if you are in wilderness it would show where you are on the travel map and skip loading terrain, while still checking if you get close to a new area or have an encounter and stuff like that. Maybe draw a line after you as you travel Indiana Jones style. :3 I love the idea of fast forward motion fast travel, but my poor lappy just can't take it well.

Also, as long as there is a fast forward walking system, it would be pretty useful if you could also double click on someplace while in the map screen of an exterior map like a city to auto walk there. Yeah, I know doing things to make getting around less tedious isn't really in the spirit of the mod's title, but I don't think it really makes that much difference gameplay wise except getting to buildings on the other side of a city without as much fuss.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Honestly I think it would be better if there was an option where if you are in wilderness it would show where you are on the travel map and skip loading terrain, while still checking if you get close to a new area or have an encounter and stuff like that.
Something like this is possible, but it would be a whole other mod. TT currently pretty much relies on the whole game running normally, whether that is in the background or on-screen doesn't really make much of an impact in performance...
Also, as long as there is a fast forward walking system, it would be pretty useful if you could also double click on someplace while in the map screen of an exterior map like a city to auto walk there.
Without pathfinding, you'd just get stuck everywhere. And pathfinding is way out of the scope here.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Still works for me on the current live build Windows 10

Edit: that moment when you realize you've been fast traveling on foot this whole time while perusing the internet..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

pango

Post by pango »

Hi,

I was thinking of changes I'd like to see in Tedious Travel:
  • Compatibility with modded world maps;
  • Make the Escape key interrupt Tedious Travel instead of canceling it;
  • Automatically interrupt Tedious Travel if you're stuck in place for several frames. It makes no sense running against a wall in accelerated time ;)
The next main thing would be a better compatibility with quest packs, so that Tedious Travel is interrupted when an encounted is spawned by those. I'm not exactly sure why it doesn't work out of the box, maybe quest spawns have a small latency and by then you traveled past the NPCs. Maybe Daggerfall Unity should expose some OnEncounter delegate that mods could subscribe to, or something...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Compatibility with modded world maps
Yes! I too would love to see that! And I suspect it wouldn't be too hard to do, but so far I haven't even found the time to check out why it doesn't work in the first place.
Make the Escape key interrupt Tedious Travel instead of canceling it;
It doesn't? Whoops, I thought that was the way it worked. That one's at least simple to fix.
Automatically interrupt Tedious Travel if you're stuck in place for several frames.
I agree that on the surface it looks pretty ridiculous that this doesn't happen automatically. But in practice it's a non-trivial problem to detect it. Not unsolvable, mind you, just a bit more complicated than you'd expect. And since currently I can't even manage to find the time/motivation to do basic things like merging in pull requests or doing basic maintenance, it's probably not gonna happen for a while. In the end, I think the pain for the user to hit a button is less than it is for me to detect the state correctly, at least with my current time budget.
The next main thing would be a better compatibility with quest packs, so that Tedious Travel is interrupted when an encounted is spawned by those.
That's an issue that certainly has to be addressed. The problem is as you described, though: The only thing I think I can listen to is the isEnemyNearby flag, and that just seems to update too slowly. Either there is a more reliable way to detect an encounter already in there, in which case I would be glad if anybody told me, but otherwise we might indeed need some kind of event for that.
Of course that raises the problem that all quest mods would then have to be updated to trigger the event at the appropriate time... I honestly have no idea how the quest system works, so I don't know. I would welcome anybody that knows the quest code a bit and would be willing to colaborate on this.

pango

Post by pango »

jedidia wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:36 am That's an issue that certainly has to be addressed. The problem is as you described, though: The only thing I think I can listen to is the isEnemyNearby flag, and that just seems to update too slowly. Either there is a more reliable way to detect an encounter already in there, in which case I would be glad if anybody told me, but otherwise we might indeed need some kind of event for that.
Of course that raises the problem that all quest mods would then have to be updated to trigger the event at the appropriate time... I honestly have no idea how the quest system works, so I don't know. I would welcome anybody that knows the quest code a bit and would be willing to colaborate on this.
I wonder if callling some OnEncounter delegate from SpawnE,nemyNearPlayer() (or whatever the method exact name is) would be sufficient... At least it would provide the same behavior as today (stop when there's some enemy nearby), just make it 100% reliable
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Kaedius

Post by Kaedius »

I submitted a pull request with some of pangos suggestions. The escape key will interrupt travel rather than cancel it, and I fixed compatibility with modded textures by passing in the size and position of the buttons as two vectors, which seems to have done the trick! I also put in a call to hud vitals so fatigue lowers during travel.